Going to Sydney what is the best restaurant?

Wife is taking me for dinner on the 22nd November. What restaurant is the best? Wine choice a second to food but would be great to have great food and wine selection.

Hi Mike,

I guess ‘the best’ can be quite subjective but probably one of the most consistently highly rated would be Quay (which for some strange reason I have never gotten around to visiting!) which also has a stunning location immediately across from the Opera House. Not sure of your chances of getting a booking so close though.

Rockpool has a tome of wine to select from, possibly a good place to head if wine selection is a priority.

Be warned that in most Sydney restaurants, especially the top end ones, the markup on already overtaxed wine can be pretty hefty.

I’m sure you have done some of your own searching but the following list is pretty reliable:

Cheers

Mike.

The above two and Tetsuya are supposed to be the very top . (Rockpool and Quay)
I don’t know anything about Sepia or the new Momofuku restaurant.

For atmosphere and really nice food/wine, we loved the Boathouse at Blackwattle. Seafood.
Nice wine. Not high end however. Have a great time! Some wonderful food and wine in Sydney.

Thanks Don and Andrew, having made a few enquiries it might be difficult to get into anywhere good at this late stage. Still great to know what is liked. Will let you know where we go.

Cheers Mike

Take your pick from http://www.goodfood.com.au/

I was there earlier this year and would probably say (1) Tetsuya, (2) Quay (great view), and (3) Rockpool, though all three are solid. Tetsuya wasn’t pushing any boundaries but it was well executed, professional, and very good. Reminded my of Charlie Trotters a few years before it closed. Rockpool has the best wine list of them by quite a bit IIRC (though again, all are solid). I’ve only been to each the one time so take it for what it’s worth.

Beautiful city though. I’m hoping to make it back early next year.

There’s always Harry’s Cafe de Wheels :slight_smile:

Or head out to Watson’s Bay for a meh meal at Doyle’s. Although the food is standard beach house fare, the water taxi back to the Quay from Watson’s Bay is world class gorgeous. And for you old farts, they DO take American Express

Mike,
I have not spent nearly as much time as I used to in Sydney lately.
I always loved Marque in Surrey Hills, but have not been since they changed venues. Mark Best’s food is so well executed and service seamless. Had a memorable truffle degustation there and hosted a wine event there that was absolutely flawless.
Aria is very good accross the water from Quay.

Thanks all, I will let you know how we get on. We are on waiting list for nearly all mentioned. Cheers Mike

Why no visit to Melbourne ?

Firing up the DeLorean Mike to get to the 22nd?