Lunch In NYC: Marea, Jean George or Le Bernardin?

I’m meeting a friend for a celebratory lunch. He mentioned Marea, Jean George and Le Bernardin as his 3 choices and asked me to pick one. Which one is the better option for lunch. I don’t think I could go wrong with any!

Bernadin. I’m told JG is ‘ok’ for the price…

Although you can’t go wrong, JG is the best lunch in NY.

And I’ll complete the trio and say Marea. I find JG to be a consistent and yet uninspired lunch, always enjoyable, never exciting. I do not like Le Bernardin, for service related reasons, not food. I love Marea for lunch - civilized, satisfying in all ways, consistent yet also raising lunch to another level, and not a “also ran” service. Finally, you don’t get the feeling they are congratulating you for being smart enough to dine there - relaxed without sacrificing polish.

I’ll second Sarah. Marea is my favorite lunch in NYC. The combination of food, service and ambience always leaves me happy.

My only regret is that my dentist moved her office so I can’t combine lunch at Marea with a trip to the dentist anymore.

I will also vote for Marea. I have had lunch there several times, and it has always been excellent. The dishes are imaginative and well prepared. JG has not impressed me the couple of times I have been there. My last dinner at Le Bernardin was ideal, both food and service, but it was the first time I felt that way after several visits. I can’t speak about their lunch, as I haven’t been.

love them all and can’t go wrong at any of them, but prefer jg for lunch (main dining room only)

besides the near perfect food and service, i love the light and the tranquility of the room

I’ve not been to LB, but we went to JG for lunch earlier this year and thought it was fantastic. The dining room is spacious and modern, without feeling sterile.

I’m pretty sure it was an aberration but I had the worst sweetbreads of my life at a lunch at Jean Georges about 5 years ago. Rest of the food (other than dessert) was so-so. I haven’t been back since.

That’s a pity Jay. We had the sweetbreads when we went (salt and pepper preparation) and they were outstanding.

Went to both JG and LB in a few days for lunch early last year. JG was the much better value but preferred LB. We’ve only been to Marea for dinner. You can’t go,wrong IMHO with any of these placed.

JD

Bouley is the correct answer for lunch, IMO.

Don’t want to that far downtown or it wold be in consideration

I hear the real reason to go is to plunder the wine list, which is deep in Texier.

[welldone.gif]

Have always had amazing lunches at JG but haven’t been since they cut off BYO. Many, many amazing lunches.
Marea is a great meal and a very good value, but I’d lean towards JG.

Reason being is I wouldn’t go to JG for dinner but I enjoy Marea for dinner. (For some reason, lunch is better at JG).

If BYO is a consideration, Marea is the only one that allows it.

Is this meant to be haha funny, or funny makes you think, or dry British funny?

Actually, FWIW, Bouley has a dogshit winelist, which is a tragedy given how elegant and refined every other aspect of their lunch service is.

Yes.

Had a long beautiful lunch at Eleven Madison Park last month that was right up there in my top 3 dining experiences of all time - delicious, fun, inventive food with perfect service. Le Bernadin is wonderful, but paled in comparison.

I love lunch at EMP. And the rest of them.