Bulk Dried Chile Sources

I used to buy all my bulk dried chiles from a guy named Gary Brooks aka The Chile Guy out of New Mexico. He no longer owns the business and although the site still exists, they do not seem to have a steady selection of things I’m looking for like dried chipotles and anchos.

I like to buy in 1 to 3lb. quantities and there is no retailer around here (NJ) who carries these types of products.

Any recos for a web merchant who can supply the goods?

I highly recommend Location | Penzeys very fresh and free shipping over $30.

It really depends on what variety of chile you are seeking. Here is one I use:

http://www.loschileros.com/

but I agree with Paul that Penzeys has the best.

Those packages are all limited to a couple of ounces.
I’m looking to buy a couple of pounds at a time. They go quick when you grind your own chile powder.

This was my old source, but they don’t seem to offer the types I’m looking for currently.

Mark,

Exactly what varieties are you looking to buy. I have local sources that sell in bulk.

Ancho and chipotle morita.

Mark – source a good Mexican store?
One that speaks Spanish :slight_smile:

WE hit one in Omaha–but I brought my in law… who is Hispanic for a interrupter __ really surprised me what they had

Anchos are easy. Super fresh ones (dried but still soft) are available in local Mexican supermarkets in bulk bins. PM me if you want me to buy a bunch for you and ship them. Chipotles are also sold there, but they tend to be the ones that are dried in the smoker for a long time till they are brittle. Are you looking for the soft ones? I often put fresh red jalapenos in the cold smoker for a few hours.

I never see red Jalapeno’s in supermarkets… Bill

But head to little Mexico - yep you got um

Cheers from the Polar mid-west

It’s New Mexico - not really new, not really Mexico

In Omaha–I mean Bill

We call our Hispanic area – Little Mexico

Ah, my bad.

Any way, have you tried smoking ripe red jalapeños? The dried imported chipotles are smokey and hot, but the delicious flavor of the chile can be muted or lost altogether. I split the fresh ones open, remove some or all of the seeds, and then place them in the smoker for a few hours. This drives off enough of the moisture to concentrate the delicious jalapeño flavors. I’ve never made chile powder from these like Mark does, but I suppose you could leave them in the smoker longer or dry them out in a dehydrator.

Bill,
I’ve given up on store bought chile powder altogether. I toast 60/40 anchos to chipotles, seed and stem them, and grind them in a dedicated spice grinder. I toast my cumin seeds and grind them and them keep them separate. That chile powder is also killer on fresh fruit like sweet pineapple or melon or watermelon with some sea salt flakes and lime juice.

Mark,

I’ve got to try that. I was shocked when I first learned of the Mexican penchant for putting chile powder and salt and lime juice on fruits and vegetables. It took a long time for me to understand the brilliance. I’m totally with you on toasting and grinding cumin - sweet fragrance totally different from store-bought ground cumin.

Will they leave behind odors in a spice grinder?

Get a Cuisinart DCG-12BC grinder. All parts that contact the spices are removable and can be washed (dishwasher safe).

Amateur. I needed some dried guajillos for the last Berserkerfest at my house so I got a 10 pound bag at Restaurant Depot. 10 pounds there cost as much as six two-ounce packages at Fairway. I used a pound or two so far and gave away bags at the Berserkerfest and I still have a lifetime supply. Just find someone in the food business who has a membership.

Last time I bought them I bought 10lb. quantities. That was 18 years ago.
There wasn’t any spoilage, but I’d rather not have them hanging around quite that long.

rolleyes

If we can arrange a hand off, I’ll give you a ziplock bag of Guajillos. Let’s call it a handful. Thatw ill still leave me with a couple year supply.