Who's excited for Florida Mountain Turnip season!?

I’ve got my connections up on the mountain setting aside some for me for thanksgiving. Thinking of making a dish with them and white truffles this year. Anyone else a fan?

Florida Mountain Turnip

11 hours ago

ATTENTION: WE are NOW taking Pre-orders for “Genuine” Florida Mtn Turnip!

Turnip delivery will start: Monday - November 17th until we run out.

Let us know if we can ship to your state for you. First come first serve orders.

Remember if it isn’t GROWN in the town of Florida, MA it isn’t an authentic Florida Mountain Turnip.

Actually never heard of them?

I tend to do the early black powder muzzle loader season because I like that there are fewer hunters out to spook the turnips.

What you talking about Willis ?

Florida Mountain Turnips are a rutabaga grown in a specific patch of soil on the top of the Berkshire ridge in Florida, MA. They are harvested only after the first hard freeze, and preferably after a few hard freezes - it is said that they grow sweeter with each freeze. A good one is the best root vegetable you will ever eat.

You really should only take the turnips by bow

I’m in for 6…

First try…and they say 1 average weight…is 2# [wow.gif]

They’re enormous.

Classic uses are in Thanksgiving sides and in turnip bread.

Got my order in-- They are actually Rutabaga

See post 5 - they are technically laurentian rutabaga.

Who did you order from?

413-822-2528

I went through facebook _ called and they allowed for 3 frosts this yr and said they will be nice and sweet

My wife says that if you can order from the guy who runs the tux store in Pittsfield, MA, he’s got good stuff.

Hell I opened this thread to learn about these so-called mountains in Florida that I some how missed in my geography class. Dissapointed.

What is the cost of mailing rutabagas?

My mother in law informs that this is an excellent season for the “turnips”, although unscrupulous farmers from nearby communities are trying to pass off “mountain” turnips grown on the sides of Mount Greylock as the real thing. Don’t be fooled - different terroir and flavor.

It’s a real problem. Some rutabaga purists blame root veg critics’ glowing reviews of some of the riper Florida Mountain Turnip crops. Others blame the hiring of Consultanting Brassicists who aim for a more homogenous and “safe” crop that can be enjoyed even before Thanksgiving. Whatever the reason, more and more farmers are using modernist techniques such as “cryoextraction” and “micro-oxygenation”.

I just worry that this might be “last affordable Florida Mountain Turnip crop”.

You laugh, but I have heard rumors of some farmers harvesting early to ensure no rot and then freezing the ‘turnips’ artifically to enhance sweetness. If this doesn’t prove that everything in life is just a repeat of something before, than nothing does.

[rofl.gif]