POULET au VINAIGRE

Here comes an all-time french classic. It also reminds us that there was a time when nobody cared about butter&cream.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=1339

Save water, drink wine
Martin

love this recipe of yours–made it after it was posted by you a couple years ago. Definitely classic.

Ditto on all three counts.

Made this tonight while suffering from Paris withdrawal, a week after returning from a trip there. It really did the trick. Fantastic sauce, and so simple. My compliments!

Bravo!

dang that looks good…

I made it last week - kind of a lot of work but came out great. I substituted bone in thighs because thats all I had but the tarragon cream sauce is perfect with the chicken. I drank the sauce after eating chicken.

Martin; I am so appreciative of your posts! Just wondering-do you study the etymology (for lack of a better word) of world recipes? I ask, because this classic French preparation has some things in common with Filipino Adobo; Chicken Adobo Recipe - NYT Cooking Coincidence or did one influence the other?

Mitch,

poulet au vinaigre is an iconic french classic and quite old. As the french had certain historic influence in Asia like for example Indochine/Vietnam, so I guess that the french influenced this filipino dish.

BTW, this dish is such iconic that the famous french director Chabrol named one of his films “Poulet au vinaigre”.

I saw Jacques Pepin cook poulet au vinaigre at a cooking school in San Francisco in 1977, but I don’t remember any cream in the recipe. It was delicious, though.

Truett,

fair to say there exist 2 versions. One without cream and one with cream.

Yes, I’m sure there are many, many variations on the theme and I didn’t mean to imply your version was not “the real one.” Thanks for posting that link as I plan to try the recipe soon. [cheers.gif]

This inspired me to try something a little different last night. While the sauce was reducing I used it as a braising liquid for some fava beans. Added dried herbs of mint and parsley and a little chicken demi glace. Finished with fresh cilantro and dumped over the roast chicken. Delicious! Thanks Martin.

Me, too. Just lovely.