Squash curry

I decided to make a squash curry over the weekend. I roasted chunks of butternut squash and diced them up when cooled. Then I sliced up a large onion, and sauteed it in the pot with curry powder. Once the
onions were mostly sauteed, I added the diced squash and sprinkled in a pinch or two of cayenne for some heat. I drained a can of garbanzo beans and added the beans. After letting the flavors mix, I added a can of Thai coconut milk. After it had simmered for a bit, I chopped up some fresh kale and added that (that’s when I took this photo). I let the mixture cool, and then reheated it for dinner over brown basmati rice.

It turned out really well, but needed tweaking. The squash ended up VERY sweet when you roast it first, and that sweetness carries over to the rest of the dish. The bitterness of the kale helps to balance it, but it still needed several splash of red wine vinegar (or use your acid of choice) to keep the sauce more on the sweet and sour side. Overall, a really good blend of flavors and textures, esp. contrasting the garbanzos and kale with the squash, and then the nuttiness of the brown basmati rice.

Bruce
squash curry.jpg