BEEF ROULADE

Here come the most classic and most famous german dish “Beef Roulade”. German Roulades are thin slices of beef rolled with sour pickle and mustard, onion and bacon. Browned, then braised with red wine and beef broth/water in a dutch oven.

Ingredients

3 thinly sliced beef (brisket/flank steak)
6 slices bacon
6 gherkins/cornichons
bunch spring onions or 1-2 onion
3 tsp mustard
4-6 carrots
roast vegetables “mirepoix” (leek, carrot, celery, parsley root, flat parsley)
1/2 bottle red wine
300-400ml beef broth or water

Preparation

1. Roll out one slice of beef and add salt&pepper

2. Add mustard

3. Add bacon

4. Add 1-2 cornichons halved or sliced in thin layers with slices of onion or the green of 2 spring onions

5. Roll up from the filled end and tie with string (tie like you are wrapping a present )

6. Or use a toothpick

7. Sautée the meat in oil on both sides. Use a Dutch oven or a big sauteuse like me.

8. Remove the meat from the pan. Add mirepoix/roast vegetables and sauté for 3min.

9. Add some red wine and reduce it. Then add more red wine

10. Add the meat.

11. Add beef broth/water. The meat shouldn´t totally covered in liquid. Also add some carrots for a side dish. Let it braise for 2h on low heat with lid or in the oven.

12. Voilà…….

Save water, drink wine
Martin

what time is dinner? Do the cornichons add much?

[highfive.gif]

Oh yes, the cornichons is a must. They gave a nice sour touch to the whole dish. Next time I will add more cornichons.

Looks good, Martin. The step by step photos are great.

What red wine did you use?

Nancy,

add any kind of red wine. I used a a german Spätburgunder/Pinot Noir.

BTW, each meat slice is around 200g. Of course, this is not ***cuisine, here we have soul-food.

Take care,
Martin

Thanks, Martin. German soul food. Love it!

I almost always order this when I visit a German restaurant. I’ve never made it at home though. Thanks for the recipe – will definitely give it a try this winter.

Nice Martin. My MIA is German and makes this from time to time. Delicious with knodle & gravy!

Alan, Martin is spot on - the pickles absolutely make the difference.

Not just the difference – they make the dish. It sounds so strange, but it tastes so good!

This looks like a very tasty dish for Fall. Thanks!