Couple has a hissy fit, gives a bad review and restaurant responds beautifully.

http://themetapicture.com/woman-leaves-bad-online-review/

Insane

Yelp can be and is so worthless because of morons like these.

Read other reviews of this restaurant, they are not very flattering.

Sad. But it’s the law of the internet. I see that kind of behavior on almost any internet forum that I participate in. Most retailer threads on WB end up that way.

My favorite is still the woman who complained that my favorite taco place sold her a taco with a whole wedge of lime on top. She tried it eat it but couldn’t chew the rind. Bad review.

Never used yelp. But the story is funny anyways.

This is just one reason why Yelp is great. People who think it’s worthless are people who don’t know how to read the Internet.

seems to me the restaurant should have just packed the food up for them.

they let people pack left overs, but won’t pack it to go? what’s the diff especially if it’s a repeat customer?

Is the hissy fit lame - yah… should the restaurant have been a bit more flexible? yup.

I would say that any restaurant should be able to set their take out policies (or corkage policies, or child policies) so long as they are made clear. Which in this case they were.

Right i agree. so if they don’t pack anything to go, i’d completely understand.
but if i can sit down at the restaurant, order, immediately get the bill and have everything packed for me… why can’t you just pack it for me without having me ‘sit’?
it just seems rigid practice… like sure it’s a ‘policy’ but for a repeat customer it feels rigid.

Of course if you NEVER pack anything, don’t even have to-go containers, etc… then that’s totally understandable. in this case they do pack things to go, just not ‘directly’ to-go customers.

Speaking of corkage - most places have a corkage policy… i.e, 2 btls, $xx,etc etc. but often they are flexible - 3 btls? ok… corkage fee? waived… etc… not by the book, but just flexible customer service b/c they’re able to. Mind you, if they don’t flex, i wouldn’t throw a fit either. The diners seem to feel very entitled which is silly/funny/sad. I’m just saying i think the restaurant could have flexed their policy a bit too.

I really have no idea on how much of an issue this would have been for the restaurant. Maybe there is a legitimate reason for refusing to offer carry out, maybe not. But I do know that many customers just don’t understand the impact of their simple requests. My wife makes jewelry and it happens a few times a year that a customer wants to buy a piece but asks if it can be modified. My wife always tells them that she is willing to modify anything but there may be a change in the price. So the customer goes through their list of changes and more often than not, the entire piece has been changed to the point that she is not modifying a piece but now building a custom piece. But when told of the change in price and the timeline, they generally decide against it, often looking disgusted. My favorites are the ones who want to change a piece from silver to gold but don’t understand why the price jumps so much.

I don’t see a doggie bag implying the restaurant should offer take out, it’s a weak argument.

My guess is that even Daniel or Le Bernadin would offer an option to eat uneaten portions home.

Sure, but this place isn’t Daniel or Bernadin… it’s a diner:
http://www.voltairekc.com/offerings.html#dinner

they sell BLTs, and Papaya Salads… those can’t be taken to go?

i’m not defending the silly tantrum (and it seems like the yelp review’s been taken down).

I can completely understand why a restaurant would set a general policy of no take-out–it’s a completely different service model. First, you have to tie up the phone with someone who wants to place a take-out order on the phone. Second, someone has to pack up potentially large amounts of food to accommodate orders. Third, you have to find a place to store all of orders waiting to be picked up. Fourth, you have to buy a lot more containers and supplies to handle routine take-out orders. Fifth, unlike meals at the tables where you have a pretty good idea of the amount of orders you’ll get based on reservations and who shows up, with take-out orders you could get tons of orders one night and few the next. Or take-out orders near the end of the night when the staff is cleaning up and getting ready to go home.

Handling take-out orders is simply a different service model than packing up someone’s leftovers at the end of the night. Someone who takes their leftovers is not likely to complain that the food isn’t warm when they get home. Someone who orders take-out IS likely to complain if their food isn’t warm…

Bruce

There’s a beyond fabulous pork noodle place in the food court at the Mitsuwa in Culver City that HAS take out containers but insists that YOU pack it at your table. Considering that their claim to fame is a pork and noodle dish with a LOT of broth, this makes for some messy situations on occasion…

lol i’m surprised Santouka lets anyone take ramen to go. The dish is ruined if it’s not eaten in like 10 minutes.

Even after a 20 minute drive it beats the hell out of a lot of other options. It’s just THAT good. I have the give me triple pork and make a sandwich out of some of it.

What amazes me most is why does anyone care. Dont offer take out, ok, on to next restaurant…no problem

They’re from New York. :slight_smile: