ORANGE CAKE

I make this delicious cake in autumn/winter times……….

Ingredients
200g sugar
200g butter
200g flour
4 eggs
1tsp baking powder

1 organic orange (peel&juice)
1 organic lemon (peel&juice)
200g confectioners/icing sugar

Whipped Cream: 200g cream, 2tsp sugar, vanilla

springform pan 7.1 inch/18cm

Preparation

1. Add lukewarm butter with sugar to a bowl

2.Mix it with machine or hand mixer

1. Add eggs and mix it

2. Add flour&baking powder mix it

3. Add the mixture to a spring form pan

6. Into the oven for 30min by 180 C/356 F

1. Add juice&peel of orange&lemon to a bowl

2. Add icing sugar and mix it carefully

3. Remove cake from the oven and prick some holes with a fork

1. Drizzle carefully the orange&peel juice on top and brush it with the juice&peel

1. Let it rest for 1 day with foil on top. Then serve it with whipped vanilla cream

Save water, drink wine
    Martin

looks delicious and easy, Martin. Thanks.

Often it’s hard to make a good match between Sauternes and dessert. I took a bottle of Sauternes to dinner at a friend’s house and the hostess had made an orange cake (with lemon) and it wasn’t too sweet. The flavor of the Sauternes basically exploded, it was really magnificent with the cake. This was a good Sauternes but the orange notes really vibrated with similar notes in the wine that would have been much less noticeable without.

Thanks Martin! Try that cake with Sauternes!

Looks Delicious but “Pray to god you don’t drop that shit”

That looks like my kind of cake!

I’ll try and make one this weekend but I’m not sure if I have a springform that small. I’ll check when I get home.

Needed more than a half hour as the inside wasn’t fully cooked. Oddly, my cake tester came out clean but maybe I didn’t test close enough to the center.

Still, the sides of the cake were delicious so I"ll definitely give it another go. A moist dense, flavorful cake. As you say, a good Autumn/Winter choice.

Jay,

good to hear that despite all the little flaws, you enjoyed the cake. It´s really worth a second try.

BTW, the ofen must be pre-heated.

Good luck,
Martin

Martin,

thanks for this recipe. I decided to give a go today. My result was similar to Jay’s (wooden tester came out clean, but seemed overly moist). Anyway, it’s resting overnight, as you prescribe.

My first go with this and I’ll adjust (if necessary) based on tomorrow’s showing.

I did pre-heat the over for 45 minutes, btw.

My altitude could have something to do with it, too: 1955 meters above sea-level.

Interesting, it seems I have to re-cook the orange cake in the coming days for possible adjustment of the recipe. But I think not more than 10min additional cooking time. On the other hand, a german friend re-cooked it several times and didn`t complain.

After letting it rest a day, it’s actually dry, not wet, that’s the issue. But I think that’s a function of our altitude. I will consider slightly less flour next time and/or adding a little baby food (always seems to help the moisture in cakes at 2000 meters). Outside of the moisture issue, it’s a great recipe. I added some Penzey’s Spices Orange Peel (dried) on top of the cake before baking it, and I like the crunch/texture it added (not to mention the flavor, too).

Thanks again, Martin. Keep ‘em comin’ [cheers.gif]

After 1 day the cake should be wet that´s function of the lemon&orange juice besides the flavor.