The 2014 Truffle Thread

Got an email from Urbani today about a white truffle sales promotion, and this, along with the cool weather, made my thoughts turn to truffles and a nice, old Barolo or Barbaresco. I need to stand up a couple of Giacosa Riservas and get ready. Anybody had any truffles yet this season?
Cheers,
Tim

I think Charlie Fu—nghi did.

2 oz just arrived!

I have. I didn’t think they were particularly rich in flavor but the smell was as intoxicating as usual. From what I read harvest was earlier this year. Not sure how that impacts the situation.

Had whites the other day. Pungency was there. Still early in the season, so later examples will probably have more punch, but also be more expensive.

Had them at Melisse with a risotto and they were delicious. Thinking about ordering some for a dinner at home.

What’s the best place to go to in the Piedmont region of Italy for truffles? We’ll be there next month.

We’ll definitely be ordering soon and probably more than once!

JD

$200 per oz. Damn! Too rich for my blood.

Ate them last night at Passage 53, my co-favorite Paris restaurant. Extraordinarily fragrant.

And delicious with veal loin.

Mark. Those look great!
Until the price, all in, drops to under $5 per gram, I’ll wait. So I want to pay less than $150 and really less than $125 per oz. Given how abundant the crop is supposed to be this year, should be able to achieve like $500 for 4 oz or so…

damn! They shaved those thick. Very nice

Those are some big white truffles and nice shavings on the dish too!

I’m waiting for the 40% off coupon from Urbani.

Great timing!

I was there two years ago, my favorite restaurant was Trattoria della Posta in Monforte. They don’t use the biggest or the most perfect, but they were the most generous with the fabulous ones they have, and the cost is relatively modest (at least it was then, 15 euro supplement)

This dish at Goust last night was killer. Mashed potatoes covered with a freshly cracked egg, a bit of foam, and a generous shaving. They have a relationship with a supplier in Alba, who sends them direct. Accompanied by a glass of 2006 Massolino Barolo Riserva Vigna Rionda served from the first Coravin I’ve seen here. Wine was good, too. A very reasonable add-on dish at €45.

Favorite Recipes?

50% off right now, code is ‘scarytruffles’

Thanks Eric. Question for the group - the sale price here is still ~4x wholesale. Is this type of margin normal in the business, or are these still not a great deal at 50% off?

How long does the sale last?