It's time- Roasted Butternut Squash soup with sage

Think a few recipes have been thrown around but this one is super easy and man, tasty.

Serves 4
Ingredients
1 large butternut squash
1 quart chicken/veg stock minus a cup (low sodium)
1 bunch fresh sage
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 cup sliced toasted almonds
s/p

Peel butternut squash. Slice crosswise into 1/2" thick slices. Generous amount of oil to cover in a shallow baking pan, with a small amount of s/p. Roast at 375° for about an hour turning at least once, just til edges are browned. After taking squash out of pan, place 4 leaves of sage into pan and return to oven just until leaves turn crispy. Remove and reserve.

Put stock into Vitamix. Add squash, 3 large leaves of sage or 6 small ones, and almonds. Puree on turbo for about 3 minutes. Place mixture into pot, place heat on low. THIS is the important part. Slowly begin to add salt, your dish must be under salted at this point. It should start out with the sage coming off a bit too bitter. As the salt level becomes appropriate the bitterness will fade and the natural sweetness of the squash will come into balance with the salt. Add pepper to taste. Add nutmeg.

Serve in rice bowls (deep but narrow), place one fried sage leaf on top. Bon appétit.

For a new twist, add a wee bit of smoked sweet paprika.

Yes Tex, if I were looking at the spice rack, that is just about the single only thing I might reach for, sparingly as said. It’s pretty delicate. I did run the whole rack through my head while finishing and there is nothing else that belongs.

This recipe needs some bacon to round it out on top. :slight_smile:
A few crispy lardons would really make this perfect.
This sounds delicious!

Agreed. That or the classic drizzle of brown butter.

fried sage leaves

Lots of variations on butternut squash soup. You can add ginger and/or curry to take it in a different direction. You can also make a creme fraiche like addition with a bit of OJ and cranberry sauce to dollop in the middle.

Bruce

I make a variation of this where I’l also add a little minced ginger to the pan. I also roast the squash first. The star anise with the ginger really makes the soup pop. If I’m having guests over, I’ll usually make the shrimp. Just me at home, I tend to skip it.

Butternut Squash Soup with Star Anise and Ginger Shrimp.

ginger is a great addition to butternut squash soup. I also like bacon and maple syrup.

I find those go very well with pancakes, French toast, waffles and most other things.

Sounds yummy…I like roasted pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top.

I’ve tasted variations of Butternut soup with bacon that were to kill for. I’m not sure about the maple syrup, might be hard to tell when added?