Beer braised fennel

I had some fennel at a restaurant recently so I decided to buy a fennel bulb and invent a recipe. Slice in ultra thin wedges to get some of the core on each slice, heat olive oil in iron fry pan until about to smoke. Sear the fennel both sides with some salt until light brown, about 4 minutes per side. Splash on a few ounces of lager (I used some Beck’s light), cover with a large domed cover and braise at low heat until soft about 10 minutes. Grate fresh parmesan on top, cover and let the the cheese melt for a few minutes.

I must say, that looks mighty tasty!

Thanks. Flavor was betterthan photo, which I just snapped with my cell phone at the last minute.

Interesting.

That sounds delicious.

One of the best dishes I’ve ever had was fennel braised with Parma Reggiano rind, though I foolishly failed to write down a recipe from the chef who prepared it, thinking that I would remember it. I tend to prefer meat to vegetables pretty strongly, but even though the focus of the dinner was perfectly roasted suckling pig, it is the fennel that I still dream about.

Nice. I picked up some fennel and will give this a shot this week. Although I will give the fennel more respect than pouring Beck’s Light over it neener

Jason

I wanted to use a good dark beer but I didn’t have any at home - too many carbs. The Beck’s light was lying around begging to be abused by deglazing a pan.