PISSALADIERE

As you all know Pissaladière is a french pizza from Nice. Perfect with a glass of Rosé………

Ingredients

125ml lukewarm water, 5g dry yeast, pinch sugar, 1tsp salt, 250g flour, 1tbsp olive oil

1kg white onions (yellow onions with 1tsp sugar), 10-12 or 16 anchovy, black olives, thyme, olive oil

Preparation

1. Add yeast with a pinch sugar to lukewarm water, stir and let it rest 5min.
  2. Add flour and salt to a bowl and then add the yeast with water and olive oil
  3. Let it knead by machine or hand
  4. Put a dish towel on top of the bowl and let it rest for 1h on a warm place or ofen with 35C/95F
  5. Knead it by hand for a few minutes and let it rest again for 40min.
  6. Peel the onion and cut in stripes
  7. Cook the onions on very low heat with olive oil and thyme for 45-60min. with lid
  8. Roll out the dough on a baking tray and add onions first, then anchovy and olives
  9. Bake for 30min by 200C or 392F in the oven.

Save water, drink wine
    Martin

P.S. be very careful with the onions. Very, very low heat, as the onions should get sweet by slow cooking and not get dark&bitter.

Love me some…

nice, Martin.

It’s a classic dish for a reason.

I made this Sunday and was a perfect light dinner. I love anchovies but will cut back to about 10-12 next time - kind of over powered it this time and mi sposa doesn’t care for them.

Thanks Martin!

Very interesting, Tom. I used 10-12 anchovy, BUT I think the saltiness of the anchovies gives a nice touch to the sweet onions, so I recommended to use more anchovy. Anyway, it´s personal taste.

Cheers,
Martin

As usual Martin saves the day with this kick ass recipe!

Big fan of pissaladiere. Sometimes improvise a bit by adding tomatoes or something. Tend to do this in a rectangle with a slightly less leavened dough than I typically use for pizza. Makes a great appetizer/first course as well. Also a good use for when a dough is past the point for ideal pizza I think.

when i saw the thread title, i thought it’s discussing a pissed off salad shop…

learn something new everyday!

P.S. today I found a Pissaladiere recipy from Alain Ducasse who adds some fennel to the onions. Nice addition!

can I just use store bought pizza dough for this? but stretch it really thin?

I’m a little curious about exactly what is meant by “black olives” here. What I happen to have on hand is black oil-cured olives from Greece – those or Kalamata which are brown. What I am seeing in the pictures is more like the bland black olives that come in a can, since they are smooth. Can someone who knows supply a more specific descriptor? I’m into anchovies and onions and I’m intrigued by the recipe.

PERFECT

Frank,

the quality of the olives is very important. Cheep black olives are salty. I used rather brown french or italian (?) olives from glass. I would recommend french&greek&italian olives from glass. Yes, it exist olives which are rather brown, perfect.

I use oil-cured Nicoise olives but find that kalamata are just fine

The olives I bought (for a different recipe) are wrinkly, very salty, and with a pasty texture inside. I think kalamatas will do well. I really like Niçoise olives but can’t get them in town. Probably Wegmans has them. It was funny, when we were in Arles we went to the street fair and there was an olive vendor, I asked for 3 Euros worth of this, that, and the other kind of olive. I can’t remember the name of the larger black olives but they were famous for their quality, and the amount I was spending only bought about a dozen of those. But we got a great big plastic bag of Niçoise olives for the same amount of money.