Show me your smoked meats

I figure a thread devoted to smoked meats would be appropriate:

Pork Shoulder with overnight dry rub. 8 hours over hickory:
Before.jpg
after.jpg
damage.jpg

This is all I’ve got at the moment. Two 9 LB pork shoulders in my Bradley puck smoker.
image.jpg

image.jpg

My first attempt at BBQ ribs on the BGE (2012)
I did do some reading but I need to do more grilling practice!

going on to the BGE

2 hours in to the smoke

4 hours in to the smoke (225˚ with applewood for smoke)

testing doneness

coloring up the ribs

[/img]
at service

Not to be an *ss because it looks yummy, but in all the meat/bbq threads I see lots of pics where the outside looks really burnt. Does it not spoil the taste? Or do you remove it a bit?

Alain

That is called bark and it tastes really good!

+1 woof!

As others have noted, that blackened exterior is actually the goal. There was about a tablespoon of brown sugar in the dry rub, and it turns into this incredible sweet/smokey/savory “candy”.

Remember this is all done over indirect heat so you’re probably not going to get something “burned” in the conventional sense, although you can certainly dry something out into a hard little brick.

Cured and smoked pork hocks:

7 day dry cured belly smoked over apple wood to make bacon:

Beef short rib plate after 8 hours on the smoker:

St. Louis style ribs:

How does one eat a pork hock? Is it just a means of flavoring other dishes or do you treat it like any other meat?

Pork shoulder:

Toss in dried beans and water to flavor. Once done, you can remove the hocks and shred the meat to add back into the beans. The collagen really make the broth rich and the smoke gives a nice extra dimension.

That last pic of the shredded pork makes me wish that I had been born a Buddhist.

USDA Prime Brisket:

Four week dry cured pork tenderloin with about four hours of low temp smoking with apple and hickory.

Here is another cook that turned out a bit better:
737124_314588158659602_1351230896_o.jpg