Hot Dougs, Chicago

Closes for good in three days. Was there a few weeks ago to say goodbye. Very sad. Not for Doug. He seems quite content to be done with it. But sad for the rest of us. The oddball meats never seemed to quite live up to how good they sound on the board on the wall, but those duck fat fries were the best and something about the place never failed to cause an excitement/anticipation buzz-even when the line was not long. Doug, I am sure you will never see this, but you will be missed.

I remember my first time there, waiting in line, and then getting my chance to order. Looking Doug right in the eye, explaining it was my first visit, and having him get all excited about what I should order is still memorable. I wish him all the best. Something to be said about taking a simple product and doing it very well.

Is there any back story on why he is closing and/or why he didn’t sell it?

On my last visit, the young couple in line behind me with toddler were locals/regulars and professed to be in the know. They said Doug was tired, that being a cash-only business and not trusting his employees with that, he had manned the register each and every day since the place opened (I never saw or heard of an exception) and that with all the money he needed he saw nothing advantageous in selling the business.

I enjoyed the place but never “got” the duck fat fries. They were okay but I was never impressed. The foie gras sausage was my favorite. His sausages are good but I just don’t understand the willingness to wait many hours for them. It also drove me nuts how he would chat everybody up – I couldn’t tell if he was just like that or if he was giving his staff a chance to keep up with orders. Made the line move soooo slowly…

Loved the foie dog. Really going to miss the guy. Lines started at 1am yesterday - probably close to 24 hours now.

His exit interview with Kevin Pang. I’m not sure whether it’s behind a pay wall

I liked it well enough. I’m with Tim on the duck fat fries. The hoopla sbout this place is too much and now has become annoying. Close already ! I do enjoy Frank n Dawgs on Clybourn. They have a FF dish with egg and I think beef cheeks. Delicious.

I saw somewhere where Frank and Dawgs is for sale but truth be told, I like that place better than Doug’s. Also never got the fries…

That said, Chicago has several kinds of places like Hot Doug’s…where a quirky proprietor who’s really into their craft runs a mom and pop establishment…not possible in places like NYC where the rents are too high. But that’s one of the really appealing and special qualities of Chicago and other places. Think Bert’s Place and you know what I mean. Very special in their own way; its sometimes more than the food…

Hot Doug’s back for one day at Pauline Meat market on May 16.

Don’t think they’ll have the duck fat fries, though.

Is it too early to get in line?

That place is going to be bananas.

Oh for Christs salke go away already.

+1

George

Has anyone been to Hot “G” Dogs yet?

Yeah, I was there on Thursday night. My apartment is less than a block away, so we’ve been waiting for it to open. Had the tater tots, chicago dog, and the duck/foie dog. chicago dog was great…tater tots were great. i couldn’t finish the duck/foie dog. the cream sauce was SO rich…I just didn’t have the appetite to get it done.

It’s cash only right now.

Thanks for the update. Is it a lot different than Doug’s foie dog?

I never made it to Hot Doug’s.

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

Here is your chance, Matt… just got this from EyeSpy Optical…

Double-Dogs! Hot Doug & Pet Adoptions on > Sat., May 9th> !
Hot Doug will be grilling dogs at Paulina Meat Market and pet rescue groups will be up and down Lincoln Ave with furry friends waiting for a new home from 12-3pm.

Reading all kinds of positive reviews on the guys who cooked the food for Hot Doug’s and that they are getting the same sausages.
Hope they are BYOB friendly!

Hot “G” Dog
5009 N Clark St,
Chicago, IL 60640
(773) 209-3360

Mon - Sat 10:30am to 8:00pm
Sunday 10:30am to 4:00pm

OMG it’s the son of Hot Doug’s ! Run run run

twice a year can’t hurt…

Your disdain for Hot Doug’s has been noted. deadhorse