Awesome Whisky Food Pairing Match: Dessert Whisky and Curry Chips

Berserkers,

The Toronto Wine Elitist Cabal did an impromptu get-together at The Caledonian whisky pub in Toronto which is famous for its curry chips – a well-known British staple – snack which is encouraged to go with your drams of whisky.

This was perhaps the single greatest spirit and food pairing I have ever had in my life. The curry chips went perfectly with any dessert whisky we ordered that was cask finished. The two we ordered and shared out of many were the Auchentoshan Three Wood which is finished in Pedro Ximenez sherry casks and the Glenfiddich Malt Master whose claim to fame is that rather than the standard 2 year cask finish, it spends half its life in sherry barrels.

The most intriguing aspect of this match is that the curry chips immediately made the malts far, FAR creamier in texture which was an absolute shock and delight. It also tamed the sweetness of the malt itself. Interestingly, the malt also tamed the spice of the curry in much the same a sweet German Riesling would.

This whisky and food pairing was seriously so good that I could’ve drunk a wine glass full of whisky to go with it as opposed to a mere 1-2 oz dram. An incredible food pairing and one I will definitely recreate at home.
20140920_220131.jpg