SANTA FE, NEW MEXICO: Places to Eat

Thanks in advance -

Staying to Santa Fe in early October and am looking for the best local restaurants - would like something traditional (Mexican influenced please) - new wave or traditional.

We are spending a couple days at the MONASTERY OF CHRIST IN THE DESERT up in Abiquiu, my company is representing the brewery that the Monks have built there. As spiritual of a retreat as you can get (no talking during meals, mass twice a day) - so I am going to be itching to get out in Santa Fe -

Thanks again -

La boca was our favorite but it is more tapas/wine bar. The Compound and Martin’s were good. Coyote cafe (in the bar area) was disappointing. I don’t have a Mexican recommendation. Try the travel forum or dm Tom Hill.

For genuine Mexican (not New Mexican), I hesitate recommending my favorite, Los Potrillos, since it has some consistency issues. It is usually excellent for standard Mexican fare - nothing fancy - but from time to time I leave disappointed.

For traditional Northern New Mexican fare, we have been very pleased lately with Rancho de Chimayo. Since it reopened after a fire a few years ago, the quality has soared back to what it was in its heyday with the original owners overseeing every detail. Great setting on the High Road to Taos about 45 minutes from the Plaza.

I’ll bet Thomas is looking for local New Mexican, not “Mexican”. If not, he should be :slight_smile:

I second Chimayo, but it’s not convenient to either Abiquiu or Santa Fe.

There are some other Santa Fe restaurant threads if you search.

We really enjoyed lunches at Pasquale’s and Maria’s.
Check this:

Thomas: Check the other threads. I will add Gabriel’s to the recommended list. It is a few miles outside of town, a touch past the Opera. Another place that has really improved lately (although I forget the new name) is inside the St. Francis Hotel…Excellent drinks in the bar and wonderful for lunch.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Very interested as my nephew is getting married there next year.

JD

You are right Alan - Mexican Nouveau - Maria’s is one that many are recommending - probably going there one night -

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I hear the margaritas at Maria’s are good!

(miss you Dick K)

We liked the Shed and loved Restaurant Martin. Our meal there was top notch and one of our top ten of the year. They have interesting concepts of modern New Mexican, and quality ingredients.
There was also the place that Marshall and Andrew recco’d on the outskirts in a non-descript mall with the lamb burrito, plus the famous burger place that moved closer in to town recently. I’m spacing on the names

re John’s comments above…

The lamb burrito place in that non-descript mall is no more.

The “famous burger place” is now called The Bite. It is located two blocks south of the Plaza in Garret’s Desert Inn. After landlord problems they moved into town from a location out near Harry’s Roadhouse. The landlord owned the name Bobcat Bite thus the name change. The Green Chile Cheeseburger (10 ounces) is what they are best known for.

Finally, Restaurant Martin is, imo, the best restaurant in Santa Fe.

For a city of barely 70,000 people Santa Fe has several really excellent places to eat. I also like SantaCafe and longtime standby Coyote Cafe opened years ago by Chef Mark Miller. The Compound off Canyon Road is terrific though I haven’t been in a while.

Casa Sena is fine with arguably the best wine list in town; long with depth but pricey. Rooftop Pizza (on the Plaza) has the best pizzas (try the lobster pizza). Casa Sena and Rooftop are both owned by art dealer and gallery owner Gerald Peters.

Finally, steaks at The Bull Ring are as good as anywhere if it’s red meat you might be craving.

Have a great time !

Thanks Bob! Great recommendations! - We have three days at the Monastery, so I have already shipped down some older Burgundy to have with the monks - it just sounds appropriate. So we are going to be in margharita and beer moods when we hit Santa Fe - so Restaurant Martin and Coyote Cafe look to be definites - even if we only stop for appetizers - and Marias because I have heard so much about the place.

Thanks again for everyone who chimed in!

The wine shop at Casa Sena is pretty good with a wide selection and good prices for half bottles of champagne. It doesn’t stay open late but it’s location is very convenient.

re John’s comments above…

The lamb burrito place in that non-descript mall is no more.

Hello Bob:

Not sure why you think my favorite SFe burrito place is closed, but I was concerned enough to call and they are stil there and open! “Atrisco Cafe & Bar,” in the DeVargas Center, “at the main entrance to the mall, between Baskin Robbins and CVS.”

Cheers,
Andrew

Sorry, Andrew. Indeed Atrisco in the Devargas Mall is still there and is a favorite place for us as well. Atrisco isn’t going anywhere… it is always busy and deservedly so. My favorite thing there is a lamb burrito.

When I read your comment about a burrito place in a nondescript mall all I could think of was an outlet mall on the far south side of Santa Fe that briefly had a burrito place that didn’t last more than a few months. Space is empty more than it is rented.

As you know Santa Fe is small (70,000 people) so the mall where Atrisco is located is a “big deal” here; no Bloomingdale’s, no Macy’s but that’s o.k.

Long story short - owner of Atrisco is part an Albuquerque family that once had a popular restaurant there. One brother now owns Tomasita’s by the Rail Runner train station, another brother owns Atrisco. A sister might be part of the Tomasita’s operation, not sure.

Hi Bob,

Yes, the Green Chile Roasted Lamb Burrito, that’s exactly what makes Atrisco so special to me! That’s why I suggest folks go there. Have not been to Tomasita’s in a long time; however, it always will be special in our family as that is where we had our very first dinner (and truly wonderful Margaritas) in Santa Fe, I believe in the winter of 1986.

Cheers,
Andrew

Thomas: You have gotten some excellent information in this thread and I am glad my brother clarified “Atrisco” as that lamb burrito is quite special. Bobcat Bite, now called The Bite is still a great chile cheeseburger but the ambiance is quite a bit different that in its’ former location. It is still an excellent stop. I think I need to mention the new place in the St. Francis Hotel again because it changes owners often and the current version has a great lunch menu and the adjoining bar makes the best drinks in town. I thought the dinner menu looked great but we had a bunch of obligations and were unable to try dinner. Next time for sure! My only quibble is that I, personally, have been quite disappointed in Coyote Cafe of late. It is nothing like the restaurant it was when Mark miller owned it. But then again, YMMV. I totally agree on Restaurant Martin as we have had many excellent dinners there. I think I also should mention that Maria’s has new owners and, for me, the jury is out as to its’ continuing appeal. It is very important and nostalgic to my entire family for some personal reasons and we will continue to frequent it in the future but…

Have a great time and please report back

Cheers!
Marshall champagne.gif

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations -

First things first, The Monastery of Christ in the Desert may sit in the most beautiful spot I have ever seen in this country - my god is this area gorgeous! Located up a 14 mile road into the Canyon north of Abiquiu. It was simply spectacular. Hanging out with the monks was a blast, going to mass three times a day, all high masses where the monks sing at length (and they have recorded 5 CDs, so they know how to sing). Everyone should see this monastery at least once in their lifetime. What a place!

We also spent three days in Santa Fe, and just loved the city. Shopping was strangely expensive, even little nick knack earrings were selling for $40-$50 each. Who shops here?

The church was beautiful as well.

Where we visited: I am in the beer business, and wanted to touch base with what was going on in Santa Fe beer wise, so we hit a couple places -

2ND STREET BREWHOUSE: A terrific taproom, the beers were good, not great, but the bar is very cool, really nice people, and we had probably the best onion rings I have had in years. A very cool place.

MARBLE BREWING COMPANY: One of my very favorite American breweries has opened up a tasting room in Santa Fe. Food was nothing to write home about, stale chips etc, but the beers were divine. Their red ales are interplanetary.

COWGIRL BBQ: Believe it or not, this was our favorite restaurant stop. Sampled a few things, and just loved everything they served. A really fun place to people watch, great service.

LA CHOZA: Very cool place, felt like we were in Mexico. Not impressed with the food though, we tried a couple of their specialties, and they were marginal at best. Would go back for the ambiance though.

MARIA’S: Had to stop in for a couple of Margharitas. And as everyone says, they were really good. Their secret is the lemon juice the use as much as lime, and they are infinitely drinkable.

EL PARASOL: A little storefront fast-food restaurant recommended above, and it was fabulous! We had their special Chicken & Avocado tacos and wow, they were really, really good. We had lunch there twice as we were running around. What a local treasure.

Thanks again for everyone for your recommendations. New Mexico is as beautiful as advertised.

Fine Dining:
As mentioned, Restaurant Martin is the best. I would disagree with the negative review of Coyote Cafe; I would say it was in decline, but with current ownership the restaurant has become a top 3 favorite of ours. I would also recommend Arroyo Vino, which is a retail wine shop but has a fantastic restaurant attached - it is 15 minutes from town, but really good. The wine list is every bottle in the store, at retail + $20, which you can’t beat for higher price points. Arroyo Vino was recently selected by OpenTable as having one of the 100 Best Wine Lists in America. The restaurant at Inn of the Anasazi is very nice, and has a reasonably good wine list.

New Mexican:
Rancho de Chimayo is probably the best, and the drive makes it more fun, but other top contenders include Tia’s (esp for breakfast!), the Shed (in the winter, they serve “Shed Chowder” which is fantastic), Maria’s (haven’t eaten their since it changed ownership), La Choza (same ownership as the Shed). Tomasita’s (downtown) is amazing, but the wait is also amazing, and they don’t do reservations.

Casual End of the Spectrum:
El Parasol, as mentioned, is awesome. It’s basically a taco stand. Cowgirl is a unique experience; I wouldn’t rate the food as highly as some of the other places, but it’s a lot of fun. For Green Chile Cheeseburgers, the already mentioned Santa Fe Bite is fantastic, as is Santacafe. The “original”, for purists, is supposedly Burt’s Burger Bowl, but it’s distinctly greasy. Izumami, out at the 10,000 Waves resort, is a neat Japanese gastro-pub with decent wine and great beer. The food is amazing, and very light on fish, actually.

Other Fare:
Clafoutis is amazing, for French cafe/breakfast/lunch food. For Tapas, El Meson (especially the Shishito peppers) and El Farol (on Canyon Road).

Is Pasqual’s no longer worthy?