Foie gras at home

My wife asked me to make foie gras at home. I’ve made a lot of food in my day but have never made foie. I look online and I’ve got to buy 1.5 pounds :astonished:

Anyplace in and around Chicago that sells smaller quantities or should I just order a bunch and freeze it?

What’s the best method for cooking?

Order what you can and invite friends. Make sure you have a good hood over your stove.

I am not a fan of frozen Foie Gras but Standard market in Westmont of Naperville has it. I would bet Publican Quality Meats could get you fresh. Eataly could probably get it also.

George

Hi Tim,

If you’re planning on searing it I believe dartagnan sells individually vacuum sealed slices of foie. They’re extremely easy- open, lightly salt, and sear for about 30-45 seconds per side in a really hot pan. It’s been a few years since I bought them, hopefully they’re still available. Hope this helps!

I’ve found that a side burner on a gas grill OUTSIDE works pretty well. A few years ago we did Foie for 20 and used a turkey fryer burner with a cast iron double griddle as the cooking surface. Used gloves to drain (and keep) the runoff fat. a light dusting of wondra flour and some salt are all the prep I’ve ever done besides removing any veins I find when slicing the lobe.

Where do you purchase, Mel?

http://www.hudsonvalleyfoiegras.com/index.php/online-store/foie-gras.html

but in the past I’ve also called them to get lesser grades of FG for a discount.
I could not tell the difference

Fry it like a scallop. With a really hot pan, get a good sear on each side, only warm in the middle.

Seared is great, but I would make a torchon. More versatile and will last a little longer if it’s just the two of you.

I’m still chasing the goose around the yard.

Do you want to do foie gras poêlé/seared, or en terrine/au torchon (paté)?

If seared, then you can freeze it before cooking.
If en terrine, then you can slice it once cooked and keep the slices for up to 6 months in the freezer.

Alain

This. Smokes like crazy.

It turns out my butcher sells it – but it’s a pre-order thing. I’m going to start by getting some from him, and will sear it outside.

From the above messages it sounds like I can buy a whole lobe then portion, vacuum seal and freeze it. Right?

Yes. Fat content is so high that it will be fine in the freezer.

I’ve found foie gras to freeze incredibly well. Spring for a lobe, carefully separate the lobe into two pieces length wise, slice into desired portions, and vac-seal onto small squares of cardboard lined with wax paper or foil.

I usually buy small pieces vacuum sealed and frozen. Excellent pricing on those at Buon Italia and for dinner at home I only want a few small pieces.

Killer sauce for FG: reduce fifth of ruby Port to about a third. Add same amount of veal demi. Add hunks of St. Andre (or other triple creme cheese) until desired thickness is achieved. Add whatever liquid is available from searing foie gras.

Hudson Valley is the place to go. They used to offer an eBob discount-you might ask them about it.

Flour is completely unnecessary and it really screws up the rendered fat.

Chill the lobe and work with it while it is cold (and work quickly as possible) work with a sharp knife, put pretty good scoring on the slices. Light dusting of maldon (or good quality salt) and let rest on racking (if you have it) for about 30 minutes before searing.

Outside on cast iron is ideal. Put a couple of cast iron skillets on your grill and get them screaming hot.

I used to have “foie fest” every year at my house. I love foie. I think my favorite beverage is champagne, followed by sauternes/barsac/tba.

enjoy.

-paul

I finally got around to making some today. My butcher got me a lobe which was about 30 ounces. I split it into about 6 portions and froze 5 of them in vacuum bags. I scored it, salted it and cooked it on my grill’s side burner in a thick aluminum pan that I preheated. It was a very successful first go. I served the foie with grilled ribeyes, creamed spinach, garlic mashed potatoes and toast. I would have had it straight up with Sauternes but my wife requested this specific meal. I feel like I might die shortly – very glad my cholesterol screening was last week.

One thing I had trouble with was how exactly to cut the thing since the shape isn’t very uniform. I’d love to see a pro break a lobe down. Anyone have a video of that?

I made my third portion this weekend. It’s so easy to make I wish I had started doing it long ago. I put a stainless steel pan in the oven at about 400F to get warmed up. Then I bring it out to the side burner on my grill. 60 seconds on each side is all it takes. I can easily cook this while my main protein is resting.

I haven’t noticed any degradation in flavor or texture from the first fresh portion.

Rockstar!