Laguna Beach/OC Restaurant Recs

Hey all, going to be down in Laguna for a few days with the family late September and wondering where people love to eat these days. From previous trips, have had good meals at Studio, Tabu, 230 Forest. Looking for any new spots to try. Preferable corkage friendly, but not a deal breaker if food is awesome and they don’t allow corkage. Laguna is preferable, but would drive to Newport, etc. Thanks in advance. champagne.gif

We like Sapphire.

Bit dated, but LB restaurants discussed here:

Still love Broadway for fine dining - pricey but really good quality. Tabu Grill, which is very expensive as well, has a happy hour (5:30-6:30) 4 course tasting menu Sun -Thur for $29. Add $10 for wine pairings. Deal. Not huge servings and I’ve only done it once but it was great.

Second Broadway. Also 370 Commons and Watermarc. Selanne’s Steak house is very good, although pricier than the above. Driftwood Kitchen is new and right on the water. I have not gone, but we are going with a group of 8 this weekend. If that is an option, I can let you know details next week.
Tom

I will third Broadway.

Also, the Loft at Montage is very good as well. Their cheese program is insane.

I like Watermarc quite a bit.

I’m on the fence about The Loft at Montage. I really like Studio, but every time I go to the Loft, I feel a little let down. It’s always good, but I keep hoping it will be great. I will agree with Steve on the cheese. Last time we were there I had a cheese course that may be among the best things I’ve ever eaten. I still talk about it two months later (just ask my wife).

Carmelita’s is one of our favorite restaurants out near where we live, and they have a location in Laguna as well. I’ve only been to that location once, but it was good. That’s more of a margarita place than a wine place, though.

Heading back again this fall, wondering if there is anything new and exciting in the hood. Thanks!

For breakfast, I highly recommend two places:
–the Orange Inn - hole in the wall delicious.
–Coyote Grill - not downtown, but worth the short drive south.

Make the short drive to taco maria.

Plus five

I’ll 2nd this whole post.

With Broadway, I suggest getting a high top table, as they pack the tables WAY too close to one another in the ‘regular’ dining area. Fantastic, creative cocktails. We go there often just for the cocktails.

We really enjoyed Javiers a few weeks ago and Stacks for breakfast.

Thanks guys. Any legit sushi around? Or within 20 mins or so?

Shunka at the border of Newport/ Costa Mesa is fantastic. Lots of rare Japanese fish. Sit at the bar and do omakase. It’s very reasonably priced for the quality. OC has a plethora of great sushi restaurants, just not sure how close they are to Laguna beach, I think shunka is the closest.

Stonehill in Dana Point is really good and I love San Shi Go in Newport Beach.

Blue fin is good for modern sushi if you sit at the bar. Charlie is right about shunka. It’s really good for a mid range spot.

I remember us eating there when you still remembered to hang out with me flirtysmile flirtysmile

wife and I have been there for lunch 6 Saturdays in a row. She is refusing to make it seven. The black cod taco and the Caesar salad are mind-bending.

you go for dinner yet? dinner is awesome there. I think it was 6 courses when we went for my birthday last year. We had some white truffle and they did a menu around it