Lubjiljana, Slovenia

restaurants or wine places there worth going?

There is a bar there, in the basement underground. The washroom is a secret door (that appears as a bookshelf). They serve horse meat there. There are a lot of skullsas decor. I cannot remember the name but it is on the south side of the river. I had a really good time at the bar/ restaurant (too good). Also if you are there for the weekly flea market along the river, you will be able to pick up some cool historic items for a good cost. Ljubljana is really cool! Don`t discount their white wines either!

uhh, thanks, I guess. Not sure I will pass that on to my young daughter who asked me to start the thread.

I guess it wasn’t important enough to put in the first post.

great to see you here again,
Benjamin!

[cheers.gif]

The river walk area is where the action us at sundown, but better food and a refreshingly serene vibe at any of the places along the main drag by the townhall.

Bumping this thread in case anyone has been in the last 2.5 years and has any good recs for dinner that doesn’t include horse and skulls.

Scheduled to be there for X-mas. Keep this discussion going, please!

I haven’t dining reqs other than to say the main square (a block south-ish from the double bridge across the river had a few sidewalk cafes that were popular with locals. The places along the river might be nice for the vibe, but it’s also more of a party.

Went to Slovenia and Croatia last summer. Not sure if you’ll have a car, but the Vipava Valley to the west of Lubjiljana is gorgeous. Some wineries, beautiful hiking, etc… In Vipava is Gostilna Podfavrovz, a charming restaurant perched next to a spring-fed pond (pics easily findable online). We had dinner there one night on the deck. Attentive service, seasonal menu that features local products, in June we had terrific mushroom risotto, fresh trout, and pork medallions grilled with a wonderful mushroom sauce. Wine list is mostly Slovenian. Lovely meal and ambience and very reasonable prices. Also truly outstanding gelato at a bar in the main square (tipped off by our innkeepers). Better gelato than many locations in Italy (aside from artisanal/Slow Food gelaterias). Nearby, we looked at eating at Gostilna Pri Lojzeto, but ultimately decided against due to 4 kids in tow :slight_smile:. But looked terrific and if we go back as a couple, will definitely try.

Agree…Slovenia is amazing. Hard to describe. Croatia is special also, but its a bit more on the beaten path.

Well, I’m a little late to the party here, but in case anyone finds this thread in a future search it may be helpful.

I can HIGHLY recommend two places, one near Ljubljana and one a little further away.

The first is Danilo, which is about 20min from the center of Ljubljana on the outskirts of Škofja Loka. It is run by the brother and sister team of Gašper and Nina Čarman. Gašper was chosen Slovenia’s best sommelier in 2015 and the family is also one of Slovenia’s major wine distributors. They took over the restaurant from their parents and recently remodeled and relaunched. The food is incredible (polenta with truffles, gorgonzola dumplings in a cucumber broth, venison, and fried elderflower dessert are just a few examples of what I had). The wine is also out of this world, with most of Slovenia’s major winemakers represented in their cellar, and they take the time to tell you about the history of the wine and why they’ve chosen it to pair with each dish in the tasting menu. They also have an impressive selection of wine from elsewhere in the world. It was an incredible dining experience in a beautiful location and we were made to feel like we were the only table in the place (even though it was fully booked). It was an unforgettable experience.

The second is Majerija in Slap near Vipava. It is about 90min from Ljubljana by car. The owners converted and old stone stone house built in the 1700s into an exceptional restaurant and inn. The food was out of this world (beetroot pancakes, veal tartare, wild sheep, and a ricotta creme dessert were on the menu when I last went). And again, the cellar is just outstanding. Slovenian wines make up a bulk of the selection, with a focus on the Vipava Valley’s best producers (Burja, Batic, Stokelj, and others). They also have an outstanding variety of homemade grappas. The place can be a bit of a challenge to find, but it is absolutely worth the journey.