A place to drink our Champers maggies: Chicago

Meeting up with some friends in Chicago during September. Our home base for four days is The Fairmont. Sadly, they are already sold out of one-bedroom suites, and I doubt that standard-sized rooms can accommodate 8 or 9 people very comfortably.

Does anyone know where we might be able to go mid-late afternoon-ish, to open our mags of Champagne? First choices: Wine Bar? Resto? Second choices: A park? Alley? [berserker.gif]

We’re happy to pay a corkage and/or order charcuterie, etc.

So it might be tough to find a BYO snacks and appetizers venue.

Most parks don’t allow alcohol but a very good option could be the field in front of the Pritzker Pavillion at Milkenium park. Beautiful location and AFAIK alcohol is actually allowed there because of the events held there.

You will want to check there’s not a private concert or alcohol restrictions in place, but if the weather is nice if would be a perfect spot for Mags of champagne and good times with old friends.

The hotel might be willing to accommodate you in the bar or restaurant as a guest, especially if there’s a lounge area. I’ve done this at hotels before- just hung out in the afternoon with a bottle of Champagne I’ve brought with me.

You also might look into Publican. They open at 3:30, but with a limited menu. I have no idea what their BYO policy is, but it might be worth a call to see if they’ll be flexible during a potentially slow time.

Mebbee you can score some Bouchard Monty. Chicago and all…

$20 corkage last time I was there but they had no stems, just ceramic cups. Might be a different situation for a sparkler, but it’s probably worth a call. Fun place with pretty good small plates.

Why not switch hotels?

Alcohol is prohibited in all Chicago parks. You can bring a reasonable amount to the J Pritzker Pavilion during a performance and 1 hour after

You could do BYO but you mention magnumS of champagne which might scare some places away. Here is thread on Chicago BYO Chicago and suburbs - BYO Forum - Wine at Restaurants - WineBerserkers

Publican is much more of a beer place.

George

What days are you going to stay? If you are staying over a Sunday night, maybe a champagne dinner at Butcher and Larder? Very informal (folding chairs and tables with plastic table covers) in the front of a closed butcher shop, but very reasonable and I’ll bet Rob could put together a pretty interesting menu for you.

And no corkage, but BYO glassware

Table Donkey & Stick has a robust charcuterie menu, opens at 5. Not sure on regular corkage but Thursday is free.

Plenty of sushi places around the city are BYO, could work with bubbles.

My apartment has seating for 8 & corkage is 2ozs per bottle

The time is pretty tough. A lot of places are closed at that time. About a mile and a quarter pretty much due west of your hotel you can hit Anna’s Asian Bistro. It’s fine pan Asian fare but it’s not gourmet by any means.

A place like Quartino might allow corkage if you buy a bottle off the list and their menu would be good for a mid-meal snack.

Fwiw, I am not a fan of TDS. In fact, I rather dislike everything about the joint.