The CEREAL thread

If this thread already exists, let me know and I’ll kill this.

I love cereal and cold milk. Absolutely love it - one of my favorite breakfast items. I like bran flakes and fruit, Cheerios, wheat based cereals, you name it. Something about the satisfying crunch followed by cold milk that just does it for me.

I’m always jonesin’ for a new cereal. Any others out there that feel the same and any recommendations?

P.S. I have ZERO affiliation with any cereal manufacturers! [snort.gif]

I try to avoid anything with much sugar. So on my agenda, and since you like crunch, I give you these two words…Grape Nuts. (Hey, they’re even kinda wine themed, though I can’t imagine the source of the name).

Yeah, grape nuts are a staple in our house. My wife likes to mix it in with greek yogurt. It’s good stuff and doesn’t get soggy as fast.

My wife loves Grape Nuts. I don’t make it a secret that I’m in Weight Watchers and because of them I have discovered some breakfasts from my childhood. I have Cream of Wheat with blueberries (and Equal) a few times a week. And I have the big Shredded Wheat with warm milk (and Equal) fairly frequently as well. My Mom made me eat Kretschmer Wheat Germ and occasionally I have to have a little bowl of that, good memories.

Of course in the less Weight Watcher-y part of my life I like Honey Nut Cheerios – but one of my fave’s is Kellog’s Cracklin’ Oat Bran!

+1 on the Kellog’s Cracklin’ Oat Bran.

Bruce

I am definitely in this camp. I crave cold milk and cereal. In fact, when I am training and need to squeeze in extra meals, cold almond milk and cereal is right before bed. Don’t get me wrong, I know dairy is far superior, but just a health decision to keep the sugar down. I have always done the really crunchy cereals too, I go for low sugar, high fiber. Random list-

Grape nuts
Grape nuts flakes (almost a guilty pleasure compared to the real thing)
Kashi Cinnamon Harvest (hard to find but worth it)
Trader Joe’s Fiber O’s (superior crunch, and a very subtle earthy natural grain sweetness)
Cascadian Farm multigrain squares (delicious and healthy Life knockoff)
Kashi Go Lean Crunch (kinda like sweet wheat puffs, but they do have a lot of soy so I mostly avoid)
Natures Path Heritage Flakes (very satisfying and I don’t know why)
Raisin Bran - (always, just don’t sugar coat the raisins thank you)

Recently, I have discovered steel cut oatmeal. I have to say it is delicious, and quite economical. I stir in a little salt, almond butter, and blueberries. The texture is so far superior to any oatmeal it might as well be a different food. I am eating this more often than cereal lately.

CocoPuffs.

I just bought four boxes of this on Amazon for $12.

Which should be followed by a snickers and a shot of insulin.

We discovered you can buy Captain Crunch with Crunch berries without the Captain Crunch !

If I’m going to sugar up, Boo Berries is my fix!

Staples: Grape Nuts, Wheat Chex, Rice Chex

Dessert: Peanut Butter Bumpers, Cap 'n Crunch (regular or PB)

Honey Bunches of Oats - Almond for me. Historically it was Team Flakes for years but long discontinued.

And just in case someone wasn’t going to post G. Love & Special Sauce…

I am rarely in the mood for sweet foods at breakfast, so I’ll have usually just have toast and coffee, and cereal (with whole milk) a couple of days a week. Special K and plain old corn flakes are staples, but I wish Kellogg’s would deem us worthy of gmo-free ingredients like they do our friends across the pond.

Post Great Grains with Crunchy Pecans is a good mainstream offering that does not have tons of sugar (or HFCS…).

But Kashi…? I tried all of their offerings a few years ago and every single one was insanely sweet. I think they are stuck in the '80s/'90s subterfuge of substituting sugar for fat to maintaiin “flavor.” Ack.

+2, though it was even better before they changed the recipe in response to the coconut oil hysteria several years back.

Great Grains, mentioned above, is also a favorite, especially Banana Nut Crunch.

FRUIT LOOPS - favorite all time although haven’t had in 25+ years. Thanks for the reminder - life is too short to not eat what you love!
istock_000012599863xsmall.jpg

Here is my favorite.
Udi’s Au Naturale
Delicious stuff.
81vo0lTkJ9L.SL1500.jpg

Absolutely love cereal. All time favorites are Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Reese’s Peanut Butter cups. I picked up the Chocolate Cinnamon Toast Crunch a few weeks ago, not a big fan. Tastes like Cocoa Puffs with a hint cinnamon. Rarely I will indulge in a bowl of Frosted Flakes. Up until a few weeks ago, I would have a bowl of Cheerios every morning before work.

Full disclosure, I am employed by a cereal company.

I can not keep cereal in the house, as it is like crack to me.

But when I do…

Grape Nuts
Wheaties
and the recently discovered Trader Joe’s Vanilla Almond Clusters

are my ultimate downfalls.

I do a big bowl of Total with milk and fruit (usually strawberries) most mornings.

Somehow it makes me feel good to know that I’m getting 100% of many vitamins through my breakfast cereal. The reality may be that Total is not as ‘healthy’ as I think, not really sure. Could just be marketing hype.

Any opinions on a ready-to-go cereal that is better for me than Total?