The story behind America's hippest noodle

I’m SO hungry now!

Cool

What about noodle?

I have talked to them ( two weeks ago ) about shipping their noodles to me… we cant get them here

they said no problem… even though they aren’t really retail

“Sorry, haven’t had enough espressos yet.” Roberto Rogness and/or Michel Abood

Tsujita my favorite la shop uses their noodles. I’ve seen the drop off. It’s a cargo van stacked to the top with noodles and they drop off a few crates with each stop. It’s an efficient operation.

At the same time I’ve never been a huge fan of ramen as it seems to processed. I’m used to growing up eating chinese noodles where so many places make their own and the bowl of noodles is way cheaper

Charlie, a lot of the American or Asian-American chefs that are infatuated with ramen right now seem to think that making their own noodles is either impossible or not cost effective or too time consuming. At least most of them are making their own broths now. The worst ramen are the ones that are made with bad noodles and broth with flavors additives. An interesting aside, a few chefs from the Italian persuasion and the new Nordic-style of cooking (at least locally) have been experimenting with making their own noodles/broth and have had great success. On the one hand the dishes are great, made with with really high end ingredients, etc.- on the other hand they are very expensive. At the end of the day I’d probably rather have pho.

I’m with ya john.

I’m surprised John and Charlie would rather have pho - the broth is what makes ramen so incredible, and pho is rarely with such a rich broth.

+1! Although I would never turn down a good pho. Even a quickie. [snort.gif]

different broth tho right? Ramen is bone/meat boiled down broth so it’s rich… but pho is just as good for a bowl of cheap soup noodles. :slight_smile:

Not exactly. Different types of ramen broth (salt, miso, soy, bone…mostly pork). Pho, as far as I was aware, is beef/vegetable broth.

The chinese in general have never had rich soup broths for noodles. That’s extended to Vietnamese noodles. Ramen broths are typically too heavy and in the case of soy sauce based ones not meaty enough. I’ve tried to enjoy it and the only ramen I really like is tsukemen (dipping ramen)

Oh. Also I think most ramen noodles are generally less interesting than other Asian noodles.

Whatever happened to diversity? neener

I love pho, but my recent trip to Japan was a ramen revelation. So much fun and so many different styles. I think the fat is what makes the best ramen broth (it’s what makes the best broths milky).

I still love the spices in pho the best

“Growing up in Japan, on Sunday we didn’t go to church, we went to eat Ramen.”

A lesson there, no?

I could be wrong, but I believe that diversity is an old, old wooden ship from the Civil War era.

After eating at Xian noodle in nyc, I agree, the western chinese style wide noodle is more interesting. the broth there was super clean. but I do enjoy the wide variety of ramen broths. i think my order is lamb face soup, pho, spicy ground peanut ramen.

have you been there? They do the thick knife cut noodles with the lamb meat soup. Really good. The spare rib noodle is insane too. GOtta get an order of green onion pancake.

Place is very similar to xi’an. Man I haven’t been to xi’an since forever. Went to the Flushing one when they first opened 9-10 years ago.

This is a description of My Ramen shop. .I like in Vegas

Ramen - ラーメン

Basic toppings are green onions, two slices of chashu, bamboo shoots and kikurage

Tonkotsu Ramen 豚骨 6.95
Tonkotsu (”pork bone”) Ramen has a cloudy white colored broth. It is similar to the Chinese baitang and has a thick broth made from boiling pork bones, fat, and collagen over high heat for many hours, which suuses the broth with a hearty porkflavor and a creamy consistency that rivals milk or melted butter or gravy.
Shoyu Ramen 醤油 6.95
Shoyu (”soy sauce”) Ramen typically has a brown and clear color broth, based on a chicken and vegetable stock with plenty of soy sauce added resulting in a soup that’s tangy, salty, and savory yet still fairly light on the palate.
Tonkotsu-Shoyu Ramen 豚骨醤油 6.95
Tonkotsu-Shoyu (”pork bone and special shoyu base”) Ramen has a cloudy white colored broth. The broth is like a mix of the Tokyo and Kyushu style blend. This style is the newer trend in Japan.
Miso Ramen 味噌 7.25
Miso (”bean paste”) Ramen is a relative newcomer, having reached Japan’s national prominence around 1965. This uniquely Japanese ramen, which was developed in Hokkaido, features a broth that combines copious amounts of miso and is blended with oily pork broth to create a thick, nutty, slightly sweet and very hearty soup.