EASY WAY TO SHUCK CORN

Aw, shucks!

Micro-onde? Non, merci.

Wonder how it turns out when you accidentally microwave a worm?

my wife is a microwave hater, but the microwave does some things very well. Corn is one of them.

We had a large farm down the road whose truck delivered two loads a corn a day on weekends. Shirley would put up a pot to boil and we would eat maybe three ears apiece. Years later i used the damp paper towel wrap zapped the ears for two minutes and it tasted just as good but there is only a 3 to 4 minute difference between cooking methods.

Cooking corn in boiling water is fine, but leeches a lot of the flavor/sweetness into the water.
Microwaving or steaming keeps that all that in the corn (mostly).

When I gave my mother in law some steamed corn a few years ago, she was convinced I added extra sugar to the corn.

Interventionists.
1475924_10202282249513743_67903491_n.jpg

Just shuck it and cook it on a weber kettle grill over charcoal.

I tried to do this w/o microwaving it first… not much advantage.

I grill with the silk and last layer of husk still on. During grilling, the silk and layer of husk smolders, which imparts a nice smoky flavor to the corn.

I picked up some corn for dinner tonight; I’ll give this a try.

But I can’t believe some of the monitors around these parts haven’t already asked:

Why isn’t this post in Epicurean Exploits?!?!?!? [snort.gif]

Bruce

I understand the Politics content, at least I am trying :slight_smile:, but why do you sive a ghit?
Are you anally organized? neener

Its a serious PITA, but I think the best way is to remove the silk while preserving the final soft layers of husk, then grilling. Gets some smoke without requiring the eater to pick out the threads before eating.

I can’t see using the microwave. I hate the damned microwave. Didn’t have one for years but the new house came with one. My wife now thinks it is an acceptable way to defrost meat…

The microwave works well despite your feelings. I have dear friend in NYC who still thinks it causes cancer.

Do you mean that it works well for corn or generally? I literally never use the thing at home, though I have used it at the office to warm leftovers if the toaster oven is taken.

I will admit that the ease of shucking would make that a tempting method when preparing for a crowd or in a hurry.

microwave can work well for many vegetables including corn. Also supposedly it can cook fish really well (haven’t tried this yet though…).

Basically any item with high water content can be “steamed” in the microwave.

I tried this method tonight; it works pretty well. You have to cut into the ear far enough that you cut through all the husk.

As you may know if you’ve used a microwave to cook corn, the ear of corn is EXTREMELY hot–handle with a potholder or some such. It takes a while to cool down, so don’t bite into it immediately.

Having said that, the flavor is great. I especially like sprinkling Tajin on buttered corn.

Bruce