Allard now owned by Ducasse

I did not realize that it was purchased by Alain Ducasse in 2013. Has anybody eaten there since the takeover?

Yes. They re-did the front room a bit (re-silvered the mirrors and paint). Food is the same.

to me, that’s pretty average at best. or did i go on an off night?

I had a vey good meal when I was last there three years ago.

Yaacov,
It is a traditional bistro that prepares some things very well: poulet de bresse for two (we order it with whatever mushrooms are on the menu; in October, usually ceps or girolles), frogs legs, foie gras, endive lardon salad, sole meuniere, etc. It is open on Sundays, when we eat there for a simple bistro meal in the neighborhood. Not cutting edge by any means, but old-style comfort food. We always eat poulet de bresse, mushrooms, foie gras, and endive or frisee lardon salad, and sit in the front room/bar (request the banquette in front window), which hadn’t changed in decades until they re-silvered the mirrors, which I think was a mistake, and painted the walls and tin ceiling. Like l’Ami Louis, it a place that often doesn’t treat tourists very well, especially first timers, although the chicken is better at Allard. During a long stay, it is a good place for us to eat a simple meal.

We enjoyed our dinner there 6 years ago. The place was filled with Americans and service was fine. It was the best roast chicken, although the duck with olives had lots of customers. When reading comments last year, we decided not to return as it seemed to have fallen out of favor. Maybe with Ducasse, the quality will return.

I think the service, food, and experience is far better than L’Ami Louis

I had the duck. It was fine. I don’t recall much anything else about it.

I haven’t been since Ducasse took it over but the roast chicken several years ago was as good as I’ve eaten. I really liked L’Ami Louis when we ate there a couple of months ago and would highly recommend it.