Dallas area wine-friendly dining recs

Can some of the Dallas area WBers help me out please. Be there for just one night to dine with some work colleagues, want to bring in 3-4 bottles and have a good meal. I’m not a steakhouse, meat guy so something that has a balanced, creative menu would be great, as well as wine friendly. Thanks a lot.

Not sure you can in the great state of TX…

Cafe Urbano was a great BYOB spot several years ago. They’re next door to a really cool Italian market with a great Italian wine selection if you don’t come prepared.

Still a great BYOB place! Food is good but parking can be tough. Very few places around for BYOB and Urbano is the best food out of the few options IMHO

The locals can tell you the restrictions but I am sure it would have to be a BYOB restaurant where they don’t sell alcohol or at leasts spirits. So that will reduce your options.

J

I got a PM already with a nice req. Although, I wasn’t aware of goofy restrictions in Texas. Is it challenging there b/c of them? if so, I can simply convince my colleague who lives there to do a team cook at his house and drag the wine to his kitchen. As with Jason, I am spoiled with California, I guess.

When are you in town?

My crib can be accommodating and creative on menu items.

In August, Bill. If I wasn’t with work colleagues, I would spawn the idea to something WB in nature. Mighty nice of you to offer. One of my colleagues lives in Allen so we may end up out there.

No worries. I am about as far from Allen as you can get in the DFW area.

Always an open door.

Allen?

Isn’t that in Oklahoma?

Frank,

You might check with Gemma. I don’t remember if they allow BYOB but it’s worth checking. Anywhere with a full bar is prohibited from permitting BYOB by Texas alcoholic beverage laws.

They do not. At least not officially. And, at this time I haven’t heard of anyone being allowed some discretion. It’s a big risk for restaurants, so they usually only even consider favors for those that they know well and they know will be discreet.

Yep, it’s a full time job for a giant staff for the TABC - trying to find those evil restaurants that might allow BYO and shut them down. Such a waste of taxpayer dollars!!

And IIRC it was the restaurant industry that fought tooth and nail to keep BYOB illegal.

Thread drift warning—

Not sure who fought for it but it makes sense if they did. Margins on alcoholic beverages typically are where restaurants do the best vs. cost of goods sold. Plus, the cost of a full liquor license is pretty steep.

—Thread drift over.

Wine and beer only license holding restaurants can allow BYO if they choose, and can charge corkage. There are some in Dallas that are wine and beer only, but none come to mind immediately. Sorry I don’t have any good suggestions, Frank.

You might just consider the best restaurant that has a good wine list and decent pricing. If you can get in, Lucia is really good and has a nice selection of wines (former chef at perennial wine-geek favorite Lola [RIP]), as is the aforementioned Gemma. Wine list at Gemma is pretty good, too, IIRC. You might also check CBD in the Joule hotel downtown, Spoon, one of John Tesar’s restaurants, or FT33 (in the design district just west of downtown). None of these is convenient to Allen, however.

I missed my one chance to visit Lola when I came down with a nasty gastrointestinal disorder while at a conference in Dallas the morning of my reservation :frowning:

Thanks for all the suggestions and PMs that made it my way. I appreciate the support of the board once again.

Guys, change of plans. Looks like the whole BYOB is not going to be in play, so if I said, what’s the best cool dining experience (not fine dining) but more creative dishes, small plate style say, along with good selection of craft beers and cocktails, then what would be a few spots to make a reservation. Preferrably close to the DFW surrounding area, as we won’t have cars.

Thanks in advance

A cab from Dallas to Fort Worth might be $100+, if that’s not a problem I’d say try Lonesome Dove.

Not sure where you are in the DFW area but we have had some fine meals at at place called “Neighborhood Services”, which is in Dallas. A strange name for a restaurant but really cool place, nice vibe and great drinks and food and also a well chosen wine list.