Food & drink recs for Salt Lake City

Ill be in SLC staying at the Marriott City Creek for a week in the middle of June.

Any good food places nearby? Good wine or beer?

Thanks,

Mark

In my opinion, the best food in SLC is at the Copper Onion. Definitely worth hitting it up a couple nights as they are right downtown.

Pago is also good (but not quite downtown).

Forage, more formal/fancier/trying harder, was good a couple years ago but one of the founding chefs left since I went.

I think the Mormon influence on legislation can make getting wine with a meal a little weird in Utah.

We had to so something like bring a bottle of wine and have it uncorked in the restaurant. I can’t remember exactly.

Perhaps that’s just where we were, it’s several years ago…

Forgot to mention - there’s a nice (state-run) wine store downtown, just a few blocks from Copper Onion.

All the restaurants seem to allow BYO for $10-15 corkage fees. I always take advantage of that instead of buying from their lists.

http://abc.utah.gov/stores/index.html?storeNum=35

Thanks for the ideas.

Mark,

You might also try the Avenues Bistro on Third. It’s a small joint with excellent food and a casual atmosphere. Not much of a wine list, but you can BYO there.

Has any tried Finca? Small plates/tapas.

It appears that they are affiliated with Pago.

We are headed to Park City, but will be in SLC for one night. We arrive at off hours and this place seems to be open all day.

I tried it a few months back. Took a wine and had a pretty good dinner from their tapas plates. Their paellas looked ok, too.

Thanks for these recs., both were very good. My wife and I visited SLC on the way to Deer Valley.

I really liked Pago’s dessert. It was a chocolate/carmel torte flavored with dark beer. Paired perfectly with a Colheita.

Lunch at Copper Onion tasty enough that i wish I’d been in town for another dinner.

Was in Park City a month ago, ate at Handle (very good btw). They have a new restaurant in SLC http://hslrestaurant.com. Haven’t been but based on our experience in PC, worthy.