Are you ready for Soylent?

Why we don’t let tech guys open restaurants:

Soylent is a drink mix invented by a group of engineers who harbor ambitions of shaking up the global food business. Robert Rhinehart, the 25-year-old co-founder and chief executive of the firm selling the drink, hit upon the idea when he found himself spending too much time and money searching for nutritious meals while he was working on a wireless-tech start-up in San Francisco. Using a process Mr. Rhinehart calls “scientific,” the firm claims to have mixed a cornucopia of supplements to form a technologically novel food that offers the complete set of nutrients the human body needs for survival.

Little behind the times here Roberto. I have been making my own for some time now and expect my fist shipment any time now. I don’t live on it but do drink a meal from the mix 10-15 times a week

I’d still take a burrito off a truck before that stuff…

guess i will see if my order ever shows up

They couldn’t use a different name?

There was lengthy profile about Soylent and its inventors in the New Yorker recently. Interesting concept.

That was my thought as well.

Maybe Hannibal Nectar?

Drinking Raul?

I get on food kicks now and then just to see what if any difference it makes.

I have been doing this now for a while and can say I really like it.

I wont ever live off the food, but for one to two meals per day its fast, tasty and above all filling (and controlled calories).

The natural mix I grind up is one of the most filling drinks I have ever tried. I can easily go 6 hours and not get hungry at all.

Weird, but true.

I know this is only a passing curiosity for most on this forum, but I have now had my months supply for several weeks.

I have been using it as one to two meals per day (usually two). I have mixed the blend nine ways from sunday, and settled on my favorite. I add several heaping tablespoons (probably 3) to each mix and fill my blendtek with water and ice.

I store the remaining in the provided jug (really nice jug that comes with an order).

It took my system a couple days to adjust to the fiber in the mix but after those, there were no issues. The taste is just OK, not bad by any means, just ok.

I didnt notice all the energy crashes others online have reported, perhaps because I eat at least one normal meal per day.

would I live off this…no, I like cooking too much. Does it make for an easy meal when your on the go, that complete and nutritious? Yes in my opinion. Does it make for an easy way to manage calories in a day…yes again in my opinion.

I can say the appeal of mixing a quick and at least mostly tasty meal that doesn’t spoil is not a bad thing.

The other implications to me are interesting as well. Its a completely packaged food, no refrigeration needed, just add water. Its about 7 dollars per day for 2000 calories. It seems to be mass producible from sustainable resources. I suspect if demand were more, the cost would decrease. I think the concept has many applications and could be part of future (the worlds).

Anyway its fun to mess with it and try new things. I suspect if they work out their production issues I will keep a bit on hand going forward, but not buy a month at a time.

To quote the Steve Miller Band: “somebody get me a CHEESEBURGER!!!”

When the apocalypse finally happens you will be glad you put 40,000 bags into your basement… that is if you were wise enough to make your basement walls out of lead.

Right next to my powdered cab Mike :slight_smile:

And in NV we wear tin foil hats, we dont need no stinking lead walls

Can they get it down to $4.50 a day? Because that’s what people who receive food stamps are supposed to feed themselves for on a daily basis. Just sayin’.

First off all I think your post belongs in another section of the forum, and secondly, what would you like to bet that if a major food company…con Agra perhaps got into the mix vs a few kids from San Fran…who knows

Processed foods - blahhhhhhhh. Better living by science? I think not. For starving kids in some third world country? Maybe. Call me old fashion but I prefer natural.

ps - I do make a protein shake 6 mornings a week for breakfast (Isagenix) so maybe I am 2 faced but I do add peanut butter or fresh fruit to the mix.