Looking to buy a (natural) gas grill...Suggestions?

Berserkers [berserker.gif]; I am looking to buy a free standing gas grill. I have looked at the “standard” Weber Genesis. However, I would like to get more opinions on other brands such as Saber and a few others. Some brands may be out of my financial reach but I am curious as to your experiences with Fire Magic or other brands.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

You might try a search. This has been discussed recently, and often.

Yup…did that. Looking for some other info as well. But, at least I know to eliminate Lynx. [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Just make it simple and buy the Weber. Good quality, easy to find replacement parts. I’ve had my Weber for 15 years, still working about as well as it did when new. Before that I went through plenty of lower end, crappy grills.

Stop agonizing, and take the plunge :wink:

AGREED! Just buy a Weber. They have the best warranty as well.

I had a weber genesis at my old house for 6-7 years and enjoyed it. I just bought a Napoleon grill with a side sear burner and rotisserie. It is very nice and works well. It seemed better constructed and had the features I wanted.

Unless you want to drop huge coin on an IR grill. Go Weber. I have the Summit and love it. They are built like tanks and Weber customer service is great.

George

After a certain point the brand really doesn’t matter (it’s like arguing BMW vs. Mercedes vs. Porsche). Go for convenience and service (ie, there is a reliable dealer for your brand close by in case of an issue).
Just get the hook up to your house gas line regardless of what you buy.

Infrared is worth it, IMO, because it really does create more intense heat. The advantage of Lynx is variable IR, plus they have traditional burners. Never had an ignition issue with Lynx as described in the other thread. When I was comparing brands I found that Fire Magic is 100% IR, which is something I didn’t want, but it is supposedly a great brand.

Thanks…Nice info so far. I have been using the traditional Weber kettle forever and naturally, it is on the top of my list. Still doing research and “suffering” with the kettle.

Cheers!
Marshall

What does that mean “suffering” with the kettle. FLAVOR FLAVOR FLAVOR. You will never get the same flavor with a gas grill.

Buy a Weber period.

Suzanne; flirtysmile flirtysmile You know I love charcoal/mesquite etc. . I have never really gotten my technique down using gas. I would NEVER abandon my kettle. The gas grill would just be an option. I can continue my " suffering" for a loooooong time.

Cheers!
Marshall [wink.gif]

I bought all my equipment online from these guys. Good prices and selection.

I very highly recommend these grills

I have used their smokers for years, and have had the grill now for several years.

The ease of gas with the flavor of any wood you want.

I would never go back to gas or charcoal after using these.

The only thing I dont believe this grill can do is get to extremely high temps for pizza, but I have had it over 500 plenty of times (its rated to 600)

Weber 330S with sear station.

Have had my Lynx 42" built in for a little over one year. No problems. Pretty much perfect. Gets hot as dog balls. For grilled meat, I wind up, most often, heating all three burners and getting the thing to about 600. Then turning off one and grilling on the turned off section.

I’ve had Weber and others and nothing really beats this Lynx. Only thing that possibly competes is an old Turbo Grill from BBQ Galore when those things were made like brick shit houses (e.g., 1999 and earlier). Quality isn’t there anymore.

+1 for Lynx. My 54" is amazing five years in. Customer service has been beyond expectations. Bill Landreth can attest to the obscene heat generated by this thing.

I just went through a similar process as I’m redoing the patio and have a built-in BBQ area. After much research and back/forth, I decided Fire Magic Eschelon Diamond (w/out infared). Ultimately, for me it came down to preferring to cook on direct heat vs indirect and wanting top quality made in the USA (I live in a fog/marine/sun environment). I’ve had a stand alone Weber Genesis for years and loved it, but it’s thrashed (after only 8 years), even though it’s always covered. The quality is just not there with the made in China product.

A good friend is going through a similar process, so I tried to do a high-level primer for him with my findings - I’ve included that below should it be of help.

"I’ve been studying grills for our new built in outdoor grilling area. There are a handful of high-end gas grills on the market, all of which are very good quality product (with prices to boot). The best manufacturers are Fire Magic, Twin Eagles, DCS, Capital, Alfresco, Lynx, TEC, Saber. The following two links are great resources for grill reviews:

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/equipment-reviews?field_manufacturer_target_id=All&field_prod_function_tid[]=1&field_fuel_tid[]=2&field_primary_capacity_value[]=3

Simply put, nowadays, grills can be all infared, direct heating (tented flame heats grill) and radiant heat (tented flame heats ceramic briquettes, which then heat the grill). I’ve been told that direct heating is akin to cooking on a gas range and indirect to an electric.

All of the high end models, as you will see when perusing reviews are very well made of 304 gauge stainless, have rotisserie, cast or ss burners, etc. There are some nuances between manufactures (some have better warranty, some have more history, some have lower failure rates on electric components, some have lower failure rates on burners, etc) and by my account the best are as follows with an asterisk on the one in each I think is best:
Close to direct heat: Fire Magic*, AOG
Radiant heat: Alfresco*, Twin Eagles
Seemingly hybrid: Lynx, Capital*

Not mentioned is the TOP, TOP of the line: Kalamazoo. When you read about it you’ll know why I didn’t mention it (it’s in it’s own league and would be the money is no object choice). So if you get it, I’ll happily help cook when I come over.

I’m leaning towards the 36" Fire Magic Eschelon Diamond 790i (analog version)."

Since we will be building a whole new “outside,” including a grilling area, this is all very interesting and informative!
Unfortunately, I still do not know what I will do! [head-bang.gif] Oh well, on to more research!

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew - I just went through this and happy to give you my two bits.