BGE Question.

I’m finally ready to take the plunge and get a BGE (large). What eggcessories do people find the most useful, necessary?

Thanks in advance.

More deck seating as you’re about to accumulate friends.

For me, the only thing you need to start is the plate setter. What size are you going for? I have a Medium, which is too small (but then, I got it at Costco for $500, and couldn’t pass that up as my first BGE). The second rack is a good thing if you want to do a big batch of ribs. I control my temp manually, but it would be nice to have an electronic vent control at some point - but then I think you should pay your dues by having to get up at 3am to check the temperature a few times before you are allowed to have the automatic control :wink:

Things you absolutely need:

Plate setter
Table of some sort
Coal/ash tool
Thermapen
Maverick remote thermometer

I also like having the pizza stone

I haven’t pulled the trigger on the remote control, either. But at some point I’m sure I’ll persuade myself that I smoke enough to justify the cost. I’m gullible that way.

The plate setter is essential.

Congrats on your purchase. As Chris said, you have suddenly become more popular. I wish BGE gave a referral fee for the amount of eggs I have sold to people I know… My inlaws love the BGE because they always have something to get me for holidays now- I always want a new toy to play with.

A good pair of BBQ gloves - helps when switching between indirect back to direct.
2 tier grate - wings, etc
Remote 2 probe thermometer
Thermapen
I use the throw away aluminum pans for drip pans- a 10 pack is like $6 at Costco
Long handle thongs&spatula - when cooking a steak at 600+ keep your arm hair
I got a replacement bottom grate made of metal for where the charcoal rests… Doesnt clog.
High heat gasket
A pan for your ashes
Pizza stone
A variety of fruit woods for smoking. I like chunks better than chips- Like salt, go gentle…
Great quality meat!

a Grill Dome

Thanks for the advice everyone. Will be getting a “large” egg and will definitely pick up a plate setter and probably the temperature guru, as I’m a “gadget” kind of guy, for now.

Since I’ll probably buy from an authorized dealer are the prices similar or is it worth shopping around?

For me it’s plate setter, ash rake…

high temp fire grate:
http://www.high-que.com/Stainless-High-Heat-Charcoal-Fire-Grate-Upgrade-for-Large-Big-Green-Egg-Grill--9-dia_p_19.html

nomex gasket:
http://www.high-que.com/Big-Green-Egg-Gasket-Upgrades_c_7.html

I use a Cordierite kiln shelf instead of pizza stone:
http://www.axner.com/cordierite-kiln-shelves.aspx

I built my own stand.

Worth noting, I love my large BGE but our local dealer dropped the line because the found the prices were getting out of line compared to the competition (Komodo Joe). I haven’t tried to verify this, since it doesn’t really concern me, but do shop around.

Having used and now not, the remote thermometer, I say get a thermopen and forget the remote.

If your cooking slow, its no issue at all, if fast, so you have to monitor the cook every 5-10 minutes. I can tell you, you will find significant temp differences based on where you test in a large cut.

I just did two butts and the temps ranged 15 degrees between the money muscle and the other side,

I think an indirect cooking method is required and a bbq guru is not a bad idea at all.

Something to be said for bringing a temp to a set point and controlling it.

The other side is its not rocket science to hold a temp with just the vents. Remember, very small changes in the vents make very large temp differences. I find about double from the top to the bottom works well as a rule of thumb.

I don’t have any digital temp control and find it easy to hold constant low temps overnight with the vents. Not hard at all when you get the hang of it.

Plate Setter
Pizza Stone
Pizza Peel
Three tier rack
Shop-Vac for cleaning it out. Works way better than any other method.

Been thinking about doing this. How do you clean out the shop vac? Charcoal dust gets everywhere :wink: I’ve been considering just taking a hose to my BGE and washing out the interior (when cool, of course).

BTW, has anyone tried the Whole Foods lump charcoal? It’s definitely cheaper, wonder how it compares?

I haven’t tried this but I rarely buy the BGE brand charcoal. Too expensive. My favorite is the Lazzari which is available at OSH. Avoid the “cowboy” brand or something like that at Lowe’s; avoid the Stubb’s or whatever at Costco. Our local BGE seller carries Royal Oak brand which is good. The Lazzari seems to come with the biggest chunks which is important for doing pizzas because you want big pieces = lots of airflow = higher temperature.

Royal oak is at our had now

I’m with the majority here on essentials (plate setter, ash rake, ash pan, grate “pliers”, welding gloves, thermapen, Maverick, drip pan), and I use these other options quite a bit: pizza stone, cast iron alternate grill (holds heat better than steel), double decker grill attachment, & various wood chunks. I haven’t bought an air-flow/temp control system yet, but I did splurge on this toy: http://www.amazon.com/Looftlighter-70018-Fire-Lighting-Tool/dp/B000WYY65Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1401197328&sr=1-1

You can’t justify the cost over firestarter cubes or coal chimneys, but the Looflighter is so much more fun. You can start as many hot spots as you want around the base of the lump pile and I tend to use it as more of an accelerator than just a starter. It really helps when I get home late and still want to grill. My 4 yr old thinks it is the biggest curling iron in the world.

BTW - if you are new to the BGE, take the warnings to “burp” the egg when it is hot and the vents are fairly closed down seriously. I’ve heard of many newbies getting their forearms toasted…

Ashley

Contractor trash bag. Just turn the vac upside down into the bag. Then rinse it out with the garden hose. The ash tends to plug up the filter so I give that a good cleaning as well.

Charcoal dust gets everywhere > :wink: > I’ve been considering just taking a hose to my BGE and washing out the interior (when cool, of course).

Seems like it would take forever to dry out.

I love this device. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/logger/bluetherm_duo.html

This reminds me, I used to use the paraffin/sawdust cubes, then bought a cheap electric starter at the BBQ section of our local home improvement store, and honestly to this day I have no idea why I used those cubes for so long. The electric starter was cheap, works great, is reusable, and generates a lot less smoke when starting a fire.

Maybe I’ll have to check it out. I use the cubes, which are not bad, but I’m always in the market for easy.