Favorite Instant Pot recipes?

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
Bruce Leiser_owitz
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1  Postby Bruce Leiser_owitz » July 17th 2017, 9:42am

Bought the IP on Amazon's Prime Day, so on the hunt for great/foolproof IP recipes. Thanks.

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.

Advertisement

Jay Miller
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #2  Postby Jay Miller » July 17th 2017, 9:49am

I was laughing quite a bit over the title for this book but it might be what you're looking for. 2.99 for the Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Obsession-Ultimate-Everything-ebook/dp/B06WRND53W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500310164&sr=8-1&keywords=INSTANT+POT+OBSESSION
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.
Bruce Leiser_owitz
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #3  Postby Bruce Leiser_owitz » July 17th 2017, 10:15am

Jay Miller wrote:I was laughing quite a bit over the title for this book but it might be what you're looking for. 2.99 for the Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Obsession-Ultimate-Everything-ebook/dp/B06WRND53W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500310164&sr=8-1&keywords=INSTANT+POT+OBSESSION

Any favorite recipes from that book? Thanks.

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.
Jay Miller
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #4  Postby Jay Miller » July 17th 2017, 12:40pm

Bruce Leiser_owitz wrote:
Jay Miller wrote:I was laughing quite a bit over the title for this book but it might be what you're looking for. 2.99 for the Kindle.

Any favorite recipes from that book? Thanks.

Bruce

No, the only reason it came to mind was because I saw an advertisement for it pop up on my Kindle and I couldn't stop laughing.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.
c fu
ModeratorModerator
Domaine De La Husky

Post #5  Postby c fu » July 17th 2017, 2:23pm

white rice. no joke. one cup water one cup rice, makes it better than any pot on the stove top/rice cooker. Also much quicker
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©
P. Willenberg
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #6  Postby P. Willenberg » July 17th 2017, 2:26pm

c fu wrote:white rice. no joke. one cup water one cup rice, makes it better than any pot on the stove top/rice cooker. Also much quicker

yup. really great for Cajun style rice too with butter and bay leaf.
Paul (@pwillen1 on CT, Twitter, Instagram)
ITB Seller of Sake. Sign up here: eepurl.com/cH6oEL and follow @namazakepaul on IG
WSET Level 3 in Sake
P. Willenberg
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #7  Postby P. Willenberg » July 17th 2017, 2:27pm

90% of my use is for stocks. I load it with all the vegetable trimmings and any bones to make stock weekly.
ITB Seller of Sake. Sign up here: eepurl.com/cH6oEL and follow @namazakepaul on IG
WSET Level 3 in Sake
Michael Sopher
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #8  Postby Michael Sopher » July 18th 2017, 10:27am

I use it for all beans (from dry) I still soak them but the cook time is incredibly quick and then it just shuts...

I use it for stocks as well. I have made a cheaters chicken biryani... sauté the chicken pieces onions etc.. add a cup of rice and a cup of water and spices (garam masala) seal and 15 min later... dinner (and not bad for such a reduction in time and complexity
P. Willenberg
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #9  Postby P. Willenberg » July 19th 2017, 6:58am

biryani is a great call.

I make wild rice, farro, etc too.
WSET Level 3 in Sake
MandyC

Post #10  Postby MandyC » July 19th 2017, 12:16pm

Got one of these for my birthday last month and am still trying to figure out more ways to use it. In addition to the rice, grains, stock, etc already mentioned, I use mine to make boiled eggs. It's super quick and they peel much easier than boiling on the stove.
-Mandy Click
Poppy Davis
SubscriberSubscriber
Missing Bob

Post #11  Postby Poppy Davis » July 19th 2017, 12:21pm

I can't believe anyone would pay for that. There are a gazillion instant pot recipes online for free.
Poppy Davis Fruchtman, formerly ITB
Michael Sopher
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #12  Postby Michael Sopher » July 19th 2017, 2:41pm

MandyC wrote:Got one of these for my birthday last month and am still trying to figure out more ways to use it. In addition to the rice, grains, stock, etc already mentioned, I use mine to make boiled eggs. It's super quick and they peel much easier than boiling on the stove.

I actually fund the IP less efficient for eggs with the pressure up, cook time and cool down. I steam them or boil for 13 min and then into ice water (that is the secret to a super easy peeling)
Dennis Atick
(Online)

Post #13  Postby Dennis Atick » October 2nd 2017, 9:08am

This a good deal on the 6quart? Is 6 too small, for those who have one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/re ... twitter-20
@decaturwinedude
P. Willenberg
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #14  Postby P. Willenberg » October 3rd 2017, 10:46am

Dennis Atick wrote:This a good deal on the 6quart? Is 6 too small, for those who have one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ/re ... twitter-20

depends on your use. it's prefect for beans or rice. bigger is nice for making stocks from bones.
WSET Level 3 in Sake
Paul Bacino

Post #15  Postby Paul Bacino » October 4th 2017, 3:34pm

Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #16  Postby Todd F r e n c h » January 10th 2018, 9:42am

omfg.

Finally got an Instant Pot. It's truly deserving of all the hype, and then some.
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)
Kenny H
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #17  Postby Kenny H » January 10th 2018, 9:54am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:omfg.

Finally got an Instant Pot. It's truly deserving of all the hype, and then some.

Yep, the convenience factor and functionality is all that.

Like Paul I make stocks all the time in this thing and they are awesome.

Braised cabbage is awesome. Short ribs. Curried lentil soup. Carnitas. The list goes on and on. Dinner in no time.
H0eve!kamp
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #18  Postby Todd F r e n c h » January 10th 2018, 10:15am

Kenny H wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:omfg.

Yep, the convenience factor and functionality is all that.

Like Paul I make stocks all the time in this thing and they are awesome.

Braised cabbage is awesome. Short ribs. Curried lentil soup. Carnitas. The list goes on and on. Dinner in no time.

My first meal (yesterday, the day it arrived) was an easy one - white chicken chili. Put everything but the white beans in (I imagine that could be problematic at pressure for extended periods) and it was done in 15 minutes. I turned it on, went to my office to work, and next thing I know I hear it going off. Opened it up, everything was cooked as if it was there for well over an hour. SOLD.

I plan on beef stew next week, and for sure want to know the secret on short ribs - do you braise in the pot?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)
Kenny H
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #19  Postby Kenny H » January 10th 2018, 10:50am

Yes, it braises in pot. 45 minutes. Plenty of recipes on line. I posted one in the what did you cook last night thread a bit ago.
H0eve!kamp
Kent Zimmerman

Post #20  Postby Kent Zimmerman » January 12th 2018, 11:35am

Honestly, any good pressure cooker recipe will translate well to an Instant Pot or similar model. Kenji has some great ideas on Serious Eats. I made the Chicken, Lentil, and Bacon Stew With Carrots in my Breville recently and they turned out great.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/03/pres ... cipes.html
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #21  Postby Todd F r e n c h » January 12th 2018, 11:45am

Made the red wine braised short ribs last night - came out beautiful. Only issue is that the liquid really doesn't evaporate much! We love extra sauce on the braised short ribs, so I upped the liquid a bit. Well, nearly all the liquid was still there, so I was madly trying to reduce the liquid afterward.

Now I know!
c fu
ModeratorModerator
Domaine De La Husky

Post #22  Postby c fu » January 12th 2018, 11:49am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Made the red wine braised short ribs last night - came out beautiful. Only issue is that the liquid really doesn't evaporate much! We love extra sauce on the braised short ribs, so I upped the liquid a bit. Well, nearly all the liquid was still there, so I was madly trying to reduce the liquid afterward.

Now I know!

Yeah. That’s the one issue with pressure cookers. Gotta do some saute mode after
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©
Kenny H
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #23  Postby Kenny H » January 12th 2018, 8:55pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:Made the red wine braised short ribs last night - came out beautiful. Only issue is that the liquid really doesn't evaporate much! We love extra sauce on the braised short ribs, so I upped the liquid a bit. Well, nearly all the liquid was still there, so I was madly trying to reduce the liquid afterward.

Now I know!

See this is where you hire the saucier. I could correct that in 15-20min max. For very little bordeaux.
H0eve!kamp
Christine Huang

Post #24  Postby Christine Huang » January 12th 2018, 10:19pm

There’s really no need to soak beans before cooking. It’s one of the many reasons I love the IP. Melissa Clark’s new cookbook is pretty good. There are also some fabulous IP groups on Facebook. The Instant Pot for Indian Cooking Group is fabulous. Along with recipes, they discuss a lot of techniques there.
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #25  Postby Todd F r e n c h » January 12th 2018, 10:47pm

Kenny H wrote:

Now I know!

See this is where you hire the saucier. I could correct that in 15-20min max. For very little bordeaux.

Ha! You didn't see how much liquid it was!!!
Robert.Fleming

Post #26  Postby Robert.Fleming » January 13th 2018, 7:00am

A black-eyed pea, sausage, and collard stew on New Years day was great.

1 lb. dried peas, soaked overnight and drained
1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced and fried, fat drained off (I used Conecuh brand http://www.conecuhsausage.com/ProdDetail.aspx?pid=50 )
1 lb. collards, large stems removes, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 shallots, rough chopped
6 c. water

Put all ingredients in pot, stir, set on 'Simmer,' walk away (I think simmered a total of 3.5 hours)

NOTE: Do not use 'quick soak' method for peas or they will be mushy
dcornutt
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #27  Postby dcornutt » January 13th 2018, 8:00am

Robert.Fleming wrote:A black-eyed pea, sausage, and collard stew on New Years day was great.

1 lb. smoked sausage, sliced and fried, fat drained off (I used Conecuh brand http://www.conecuhsausage.com/ProdDetail.aspx?pid=50 )
2 bay leaves
6 c. water

Put all ingredients in pot, stir, set on 'Simmer,' walk away (I think simmered a total of 3.5 hours)

This looks fantastic!
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius
Jason Hagen

Post #28  Postby Jason Hagen » January 13th 2018, 9:51am

Not a lot of recipes here [wow.gif]

Getting ready to pull the trigger. Any favorites models? I am planning on going with an 8Qt.

Jason
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #29  Postby Todd F r e n c h » January 13th 2018, 9:56am

Jason Hagen wrote:Not a lot of recipes here [wow.gif]

Getting ready to pull the trigger. Any favorites models? I am planning on going with an 8Qt.

Jason

I went with the original, Instant Pot - highly recommended. Build quality is fantastic, super easy to use (lock/unlock, steam valve, cleaning)

Here's one recipe I tried with great success - creamy polenta:

https://keviniscooking.com/how-to-make- ... y-polenta/
Jason Hagen

Post #30  Postby Jason Hagen » January 13th 2018, 9:58am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Jason Hagen wrote:Not a lot of recipes here [wow.gif]

Jason

I went with the original, Instant Pot - highly recommended. Build quality is fantastic, super easy to use (lock/unlock, steam valve, cleaning)

Here's one recipe I tried with great success - creamy polenta:

https://keviniscooking.com/how-to-make- ... y-polenta/

Thanks. What size did you get?

J
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #31  Postby Todd F r e n c h » January 13th 2018, 10:06am

6 qt. My sister got me a 10 quart for Christmas (not Instant Pot brand) and it was FAR too large for our family of 4.
Jason Hagen

Post #32  Postby Jason Hagen » January 13th 2018, 10:07am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:6 qt. My sister got me a 10 quart for Christmas (not Instant Pot brand) and it was FAR too large for our family of 4.

Hmmm. Okay ... maybe I should go with the 6 Qt, if that is working for you guys.

J
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #33  Postby Todd F r e n c h » January 13th 2018, 10:09am

Jason Hagen wrote:
Todd F r e n c h wrote:6 qt. My sister got me a 10 quart for Christmas (not Instant Pot brand) and it was FAR too large for our family of 4.

Hmmm. Okay ... maybe I should go with the 6 Qt, if that is working for you guys.

J

Well, you'd have to get close to the top (as close as you can, given the instructions on filling levels) to have enough for a meal AND freezing, I found out. Made white chicken chili the first day and it was crushed - only one small serving remained. If you guys eat leftovers or freeze meals, 8qt is probably solid. 10 is just huge.
Robert.Fleming

Post #34  Postby Robert.Fleming » January 13th 2018, 10:44am

dcornutt wrote:
Robert.Fleming wrote:A black-eyed pea, sausage, and collard stew on New Years day was great.

2 bay leaves
6 c. water

This looks fantastic!

I forgot one thing, Don: Serve with pepper sauce.

Bon appetit, y'all!
Christine Huang

Post #35  Postby Christine Huang » January 13th 2018, 11:16am

Jason Hagen wrote:

J

Hi Jason,

If you think you will be using the IP for stock (for which it’s fabulous) or if you make big batches of anything, I’d go for the 8qt. You can make smaller amounts in the 8, but 6 can be limiting. I started with the 6 and now have the 8 too.
Christine Huang

Post #36  Postby Christine Huang » January 13th 2018, 11:22am

Robert.Fleming wrote:
dcornutt wrote:

2 bay leaves
6 c. water

This looks fantastic!

I forgot one thing, Don: Serve with pepper sauce.

Bon appetit, y'all!

Hi Bob!

I made a very close version of this for New Years Day too. I used a smoked ham shank instead of the sausage and sweet onions instead of shallots. I didn’t soak. I just put everything in and put it on high pressure for 35 minutes. It was delicious and devoured quickly.
Ethan Abraham
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #37  Postby Ethan Abraham » January 13th 2018, 6:28pm

One of my favorites lately, I've only made it in a le creuset but should work just as well in the IP. So ridiculously simple, the only prep is chopping an onion and the meat (or just be lazy and buy pre-cubed stew meat).

1.5-2 lbs cubed lamb stew meat
1 onion diced
2/3 cup white wine
1 cup stock or water(maybe less for the IP)
1 bag (10oz) frozen peas

The instructions should nearly be obvious at this point. Saute lamb to get some Browning on some of the sides (as Kenji points out, you really don't need to worry about browning all of it), add onion and cook til soft, add wine and reduce a bit, add stock and peas. At this point I usually do in my le creuset in oven for about 1.5 hours, but I imagine about 25 minutes in the IP should suffice. I don't know how this recipe turns out so good, but it does. Adding cubed potatoes (probably after the pressure cook portion, just simmer until cooked) is an option too.
Jorge Henriquez
ModeratorModerator

Post #38  Postby Jorge Henriquez » January 14th 2018, 6:36am

Inaugural dish last night in my new 6qt. Crock Pot brand one. Chili (no beans type)! Had the same issue as Todd: too liquidy at the end.

Cubed a 2 pound Top Round (London Broil) into very small pieces. Seasoned with S&P while the Sauté function heated up. Browned the meat well; it released a lot of liquid so I kept browning until some of it evaporated. Added chopped onion, garlic & red bell pepper along with cumin, dried oregano & chili powder. Sautéed a bit longer until veggies softened and spices incorporated. Then a small can of Trader Joe’s diced green chilies, 1.5 cups of broth blended with a bit of fish sauce for umami, 1/2 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and a small can of crushed tomatoes before closing the lid. Pressured on High for 22 minutes. Allowed for slow release.

When I saw how soupy it was, sautéed for a bit longer to try to evaporate some of the liquid. Flavors were awesome and I’m very happy with the machine itself. Just need to grasp the learning curve.
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

ITB - The Wine Cellarage
Todd F r e n c h
Site AdminSite Admin
Head Babysitter

Post #39  Postby Todd F r e n c h » January 14th 2018, 9:38am

This recipe is fantastic - https://www.seasonalcravings.com/instan ... mment-6504

I’m going to add frozen corn next time, however
Christine Huang

Post #40  Postby Christine Huang » January 14th 2018, 10:59am

Adjusting to the liquid issue takes a little trial and error. You can reduce the liquid with the Sauté function before or after cooking it.

I always reduce my stock by at least ½ before freezing it for use. More likely, I reduce it 4X, slice the gelled stock into cubes before freezing. In a pinch, I’ll reduce the amount called for in a recipe if I think it’s too much and add a spoonful of Better Than Boulllion.
Michael Sopher
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #41  Postby Michael Sopher » January 15th 2018, 8:28am

Jorge Henriquez wrote:Inaugural dish last night in my new 6qt. Crock Pot brand one. Chili (no beans type)! Had the same issue as Todd: too liquidy at the end.

Cubed a 2 pound Top Round (London Broil) into very small pieces. Seasoned with S&P while the Sauté function heated up. Browned the meat well; it released a lot of liquid so I kept browning until some of it evaporated. Added chopped onion, garlic & red bell pepper along with cumin, dried oregano & chili powder. Sautéed a bit longer until veggies softened and spices incorporated. Then a small can of Trader Joe’s diced green chilies, 1.5 cups of broth blended with a bit of fish sauce for umami, 1/2 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and a small can of crushed tomatoes before closing the lid. Pressured on High for 22 minutes. Allowed for slow release.

When I saw how soupy it was, sautéed for a bit longer to try to evaporate some of the liquid. Flavors were awesome and I’m very happy with the machine itself. Just need to grasp the learning curve.

You have to significantly reduce liquids as there is no evaporation during the pressure cycle. Nearly in half With brown rice (22 min at high +10 min NPR) I do 1.25 cups water with 1 cup rice.. stovetop is 2:1
Corey N.
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #42  Postby Corey N. » January 15th 2018, 8:32am

If doing a beef chili with beans, can you just add the dried beans to the IP or would you soak overnight?
It’s no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it’s sanctimony. -- Nathan Hill, The Nix

Nøv¡¢k
Michael Sopher
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #43  Postby Michael Sopher » January 15th 2018, 8:57am

Corey N. wrote:If doing a beef chili with beans, can you just add the dried beans to the IP or would you soak overnight?

Significant diff of time needed for dry beans or presoaked beans... you could end up with beans turning to mush or being undercooked. Also seems to me that getting the liquids just right would be a real challenge. I bet there are recipes out there that account for this... still I tend to cook my beans separate (usually under pressure) and combine later.
Corey N.
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #44  Postby Corey N. » January 15th 2018, 9:07am

Michael Sopher wrote:
Corey N. wrote:If doing a beef chili with beans, can you just add the dried beans to the IP or would you soak overnight?

Significant diff of time needed for dry beans or presoaked beans... you could end up with beans turning to mush or being undercooked. Also seems to me that getting the liquids just right would be a real challenge. I bet there are recipes out there that account for this... still I tend to cook my beans separate (usually under pressure) and combine later.

Thanks Michael. I'll do this.
It’s no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it’s sanctimony. -- Nathan Hill, The Nix

Nøv¡¢k
Michael Sopher
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #45  Postby Michael Sopher » January 15th 2018, 12:16pm

Corey,

Cook your beans with good aromatics and they will infuse with flavor just fine... get them "al dente" cooked alone and then finish in the chili. I did Royal Corona beans in tomato sauce yesterday.. got the beans most of the way there under pressure (16 min with NPR) and then finished in the sauce low and slow till the beans got creamy.

This time grid is really useful as a starting point for dry or soaked beans
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0685/ ... ooking.pdf

Return to Epicurean Exploits

logo
Food Advertising by