Harris Poll Best Burger Brand

Food - recipes, reviews, and discussion
johngonzales

Post #51  Postby johngonzales » May 18th 2017, 11:28am

Actually Fatburger is pretty damned good. I used to love them. They were my go to for a chili cheeseburger with a fried egg on top back in the go out drinking days of the 80s-90s.

My issue with them is how expensive they've become. Last time I went I think my burger was $8+. It's not worth double the double-double.

As someone else said, why does Five Guys keep up, with that bun the disintegrates above toppings?

Advertisement

Jay Miller
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #52  Postby Jay Miller » May 18th 2017, 12:28pm

Just considered that I should add that I've experienced large swings in burger quality between Shake Shack locations. The ones I've been to in NYC have been much better than the ones I've tried further out.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.
ClarkstonMark
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #53  Postby ClarkstonMark » May 19th 2017, 1:47pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Do you have any decent independent burger places you go to. I miss living in Brighton (UK) and the wonderfully named 'Grubbs' burgers which had very good quality beef, with a wonderful array of toppings to choose. Sizes were 1/4 pounder, half pounder or the full pounder . Concensus locally seemed to be that local rival and even more wonderfully named 'The wonkey donkey' was even better, but it wasn't in a convenient location for us. There was also a decent place in easy walking distance, which in another place might have been really talked up, but at that place & time was just an 'also ran'.

Just run a quick web-search and both Grubbs and Wonkey Donkey are still going. Sadly no local places to excite here.

Yes of course. I can think of a dozen places in metro Detroit that I would prefer over any of those on the list.
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI
ClarkstonMark
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #54  Postby ClarkstonMark » May 19th 2017, 1:47pm

Ian Sutton wrote:Do you have any decent independent burger places you go to. I miss living in Brighton (UK) and the wonderfully named 'Grubbs' burgers which had very good quality beef, with a wonderful array of toppings to choose. Sizes were 1/4 pounder, half pounder or the full pounder . Concensus locally seemed to be that local rival and even more wonderfully named 'The wonkey donkey' was even better, but it wasn't in a convenient location for us. There was also a decent place in easy walking distance, which in another place might have been really talked up, but at that place & time was just an 'also ran'.

Just run a quick web-search and both Grubbs and Wonkey Donkey are still going. Sadly no local places to excite here.

Yes of course. I can think of a dozen places in metro Detroit that I would prefer over any of those on the list.
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI
Ramon C

Post #55  Postby Ramon C » May 19th 2017, 2:27pm

ClarkstonMark wrote:

You've been to every one on the list.
c@brera
ClarkstonMark
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #56  Postby ClarkstonMark » May 19th 2017, 4:15pm

Ramon C wrote:
ClarkstonMark wrote:

You've been to every one on the list.

All but 6 and 9. Probably should have mentioned that.
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI
PeterJ

Post #57  Postby PeterJ » May 19th 2017, 9:02pm

How'd we wind up comparing local joints with chains in the 100+ to thousands of locations range? If you have hundreds of locations you'd better be selling a product that is pretty middle-of-the-road and usually pretty inexpensive. Usually not a very fair comparison.
Peter J@ckel
Frank Drew
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #58  Postby Frank Drew » May 19th 2017, 9:32pm

johngonzales wrote:I eat a boatload of burgers.

I don't, so for those few times, maybe every couple of months or so, I want a good hamburger, which isn't to say $20 fancy (what does P.J. Clark's charge?), but de minimus freshly ground, high-quality beef on a good bun (bonus points for house baked). Pretty much eliminates chain burger places. Doesn't everyone have somewhere more or less local that offers that? If I do (Spelunkers in Front Royal and Melt Gourmet Cheeseburgers in Leesburg), I'd think everyone does.

I tried 5 Guys once and found the burger pedestrian; not bad in any sense, but "Is that it? That's a burger people brag on?". And I'm not anybody's idea of a foodie, but I know from good.
Jason Hagen

Post #59  Postby Jason Hagen » May 20th 2017, 12:06pm

All my local Fatburgers closed #sadface

I have enjoyed Smashburger the few times I have had it.

I must say, I didn't get the In & Out thing at first but have grown to love it. My current orders are a Double Double w/ a whole raw onion (or sometimes a whole grilled onion), and K&M only. Or a 3X2 Protein style with the same additions. And In & Out fries are the best #Controversial The fries must be eaten immediately. I get the chili peppers on the side although you can have them put right onto the burger. They go great with the fries.

Jason
Dave McCloskey

Post #60  Postby Dave McCloskey » May 21st 2017, 9:54am

I wouldn't eat a McDonald's hamburger if you paid me! I haven't eaten at a McDonalds "restaurant" in over 20 years and can easily see myself living out the remainder of my life keeping that trend alive.
johngonzales

Post #61  Postby johngonzales » May 21st 2017, 12:27pm

Dave McCloskey wrote:I wouldn't eat a McDonald's hamburger if you paid me! I haven't eaten at a McDonalds "restaurant" in over 20 years and can easily see myself living out the remainder of my life keeping that trend alive.

I know I'm at the extreme of eating just about anywhere, especially due to cost and especially time. I think McD's makes a crummy burger but three night ago I found myself having not eaten for eight hours, with five minutes to spare , and a McD's in front of me. Quarter-pounder fries wasn't culinary but hit the spot. Actually, I think McD's fries are better than the fries at all of the places listed. Starch, fat,,salt, hot, crisp. Hard to mess up, though not healthy. Unless you don't like the pesticide used to grow their potatoes hitsfan
c fu
ModeratorModerator
Domaine De La Husky

Post #62  Postby c fu » Yesterday, 11:04am

Jason Hagen wrote:All my local Fatburgers closed #sadface

I must say, I didn't get the In & Out thing at first but have grown to love it. My current orders are a Double Double w/ a whole raw onion (or sometimes a whole grilled onion), and K&M only. Or a 3X2 Protein style with the same additions. And In & Out fries are the best #Controversial The fries must be eaten immediately. I get the chili peppers on the side although you can have them put right onto the burger. They go great with the fries.

Jason

Double double, whole grilled, extra tomatoes, whole raw onion, chopped peppers. Well done fries.

Boom.

As a test experiment last week I visited 5 Guys, Habit (no diarrhea!), In n Out and Shake Shack. With price being no object, I enjoyed Shake Shack the most. The potato bun goes a long way.

I despise the crappy bun they use at 5 guys. Also I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack every time from the grease.

Habit and In n Out are pretty close in quality to me, except I don't care for sesame buns and sometimes Habit gets a little too dry on the patty. I need a little grease on my burger and you don't get that great meld of cheese, grease and patty that SS & In n Out have. So I'd give the edge to In n Out on that.

So it goes SS ---> In n out --> Habit ---> 5 guys.
Ch@rlie F|_|

"Roulot is Roulot"©
ClarkstonMark
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #63  Postby ClarkstonMark » Yesterday, 12:18pm

c fu wrote:
Jason Hagen wrote:All my local Fatburgers closed #sadface

Jason

Double double, whole grilled, extra tomatoes, whole raw onion, chopped peppers. Well done fries.

Boom.

As a test experiment last week I visited 5 Guys, Habit (no diarrhea!), In n Out and Shake Shack. With price being no object, I enjoyed Shake Shack the most. The potato bun goes a long way.

I despise the crappy bun they use at 5 guys. Also I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack every time from the grease.

Habit and In n Out are pretty close in quality to me, except I don't care for sesame buns and sometimes Habit gets a little too dry on the patty. I need a little grease on my burger and you don't get that great meld of cheese, grease and patty that SS & In n Out have. So I'd give the edge to In n Out on that.

So it goes SS ---> In n out --> Habit ---> 5 guys.

Now that's the way to do it ... glad you're still alive ;)
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI
Dave McCloskey

Post #64  Postby Dave McCloskey » Yesterday, 3:02pm

There was a place in the San Fernando Valley growing up called "Tommy's" over by Busch Gardens. They made rocking burgers... super messy! Not sure if it's still there.
Jason Hagen

Post #65  Postby Jason Hagen » Yesterday, 4:24pm

c fu wrote:

Boom.

Nice. I do occasionally double up on the onions as well. Same as above or if I am ready for more sodium, grilled onions and whole raw onion. But I tend to go with getting the peppers on the side. 1 bite burger + a bite of a pepper. Not sure if the shortage is over yet, but they have been much less generous with the peppers.

Oh, and if do anything to fries, it's light fries. #Controversial #yum.

Why do I keep using hashtags. Dork.

Shake Shack is far from convenient for me, so I have yet to try.

I don't seem to eat there too often but I do like the Habit and agree with your assessment of the patty can be a bit dry.

Jason
Alan Rath

Post #66  Postby Alan Rath » Yesterday, 6:12pm

This whole discussion feels a little like trying to justify which one's better: Coors light, Miller Light, or Bud Light.

They're burgers. Acceptably edible, but not worth arguing over neener
M Hudson
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #67  Postby M Hudson » Yesterday, 6:42pm

Coors, since you asked, if I have to drink "regular" beer
M@rk
Actions Matter
Jason Hagen

Post #68  Postby Jason Hagen » Yesterday, 6:46pm

M Hudson wrote:Coors, since you asked, if I have to drink "regular" beer

+1 ... and I have spent time arguing about it.

And Charlie, you couldn't find a Wendy's?

Jason

Return to Epicurean Exploits

logo
Food Advertising by