Minerality?

Minerality in wine is a confusing topic but maybe it helps restricting it: how would you describe a joung sweet Spatlese from the Mosel that is “mineral” to you?

For me personally, minerality is always associated with acidity. For me a wine with very low, nearly untestable acidity can’t be mineral driven in the taste. Minerality is one of the most overused expressions with wine description! Minerality has a positive image, therefore people love to use it, even that we all do not know what it really describes?
At last years tasting of the ‘Frankland Estate International Riesling Summit’, Jancis Robinson who leaded the podium, started the tasting with the following introduction: ‘No “M” word is allowed today’.

Good morning Dr. Loosen! Its good to see you and Jancis is still out there. A question on the “minerality”. I have been facinated at how the olfactory senses tend to take parts per million out of a chaotic array ( say when you put a nose in a glass of Riesling) and try to “locate” the parts in to memory. While the green apple aroma of most wines in your area is a given, the “slate” the wet stone quality may be something that some people get as an associated memory, others, not as much. I can think of flinty Chablis, stony white Bordeaux, etc. As any one ever isolated what that component is?