Grape Clones

What is the best book which talk each clone for wine grapes?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Vamsi

As far as I know, the most comprehensive attempt is John Caldwell’s “A Concise Guide to Wine Grape Clones for Professionals”-- published by John Caldwell Viticultural Services. I don’t know if it has been updated since 1998, and it’s too concise to be the last word for the clones of any one varietal, but he does touch a lot of bases.

Hi Stewart,
Thank you for the information. The book is out of print and can’t find a copy anywhere. Put up an add on CC and hope to get a copy at some day

For Pinot Noir, John Winthrop Haeger’s North American Pinot Noir has a lot of info about who/what/where/when the clones found there way to CA/OR.

If your looking to match varietals/clones to a specific soil type grapevine nurseries have a lot of free info they can pass along assuming your a prospective client.

If there are a few varieties that you want to look up, I can scan those pages and forward them. The entries are pretty short.

The best source for (mostly) French variety & clones is Grapevine Varieties and Clones published by ENTAV-INRA®

This may be almost as hard to find as Caldwell’s book - not sure.

Caldwell got much of his info from here.

There is also a Ton of info online. Grapevine Nursery sites are a good place to start.

Even YouTube has some cool info > Pinot Noir ENTAV-INRA® 828 Riversun Video - YouTube

Love doing research on variety/clone/rootstock combos - fascinating stuff - especially when you finally put the stuff in the ground, & plant a Vineyard.

Have Fun, Good Luck,
&
Cheers!

[cheers.gif]

Depending on what you are looking for, the best might be to look up FPMS at UC Davis. Good stuff on a lot of different clones of each variety. There are also some pretty good technical bulletins from UC Davis extension. Good place to start http://ngr.ucdavis.edu/varietylist.cfm . For each variety - if you look up the publications at the bottom of each- there is far more information. A bit nerdy, but good resource.

Trevor Chlanda
J Stephen Wines

Good info from FPS/Natl Grape Registry on what is available in US. The following is a link to ENTAV INRA entries… http://plantgrape.plantnet-project.org/clones . Click the variety to get comparison properties for all the clones. Within some of the clone tables there are further links to detailed discussion…e.g. cabernet sauvignon. For specific varieties I find that monographs/articles are the way to dig deeper. Also for comparison on flavors there is nothing better than to visit the larger nursery mother blocks during fruit ripening. A few years back I tasted my way through the ENTAV mother blocks shared by Herrick and Mercier before I made the final decision on clones.