Wine Certifications

First off I am new to the forum so please be gentle :wink:

I have been out of the restaurant game for about 2 years now and I am looking to get back in. I am interested in getting a wine certification to help in this endeavor (Iā€™m hoping to get a job as an assistant manager) but I am not sure which one I should get.

Currently I am looking at Sommelier and the CSW

I like that the CSW is only one test (and frankly the price tag) but I am concerned that this is not the certificate that restaurants are going to want to see.

Thoughts?

Welcome to the forums. Wine Berserkers uses full names in the forums, so you should add your first name to your signature in your posts.

Your post actually seems more appropriate for Cellar Rats, the ITB forum. Many of the folks there would be able to offer advice.

Cheers!
Paula

Paula,
Thanks for the heads up. I will make sure to add my name to my signature and post this in the cellar rats forum.

Cheers!

So after a false start (I posted this thread in Wine 101 originally) I hope that this will prove more fruitful.

First off I am new to the forum so please be gentle :wink:

I have been out of the restaurant game for about 2 years now and I am looking to get back in. I am interested in getting a wine certification to help in this endeavor (Iā€™m hoping to get a job as an assistant manager) but I am not sure which one I should get.

Currently I am looking at Sommelier and the CSW

I like that the CSW is only one test (and frankly the price tag) but I am concerned that this is not the certificate that restaurants are going to want to see.

Thoughts?

Actually. this is more of a Wine Pimps question. Not that that page (retailers/retail issues) is perfect, either. Not sure many somms are on Berserkers, really, but people on the retail side of the business would have more insight to your question than people on the production side.

Also, Iā€™m thinking you posted this question on the WS forum and got good answers there.

Drew, IMO CSW is more valuable if youā€™re working on the sales side, distributor or supplier. If I were in the restaurant side of the business Iā€™d probably look at studying to be a Sommerlier.

Sorry if this is stupid but I just wanted to clarifyā€¦ the ā€œWS forumā€?

Sorryā€¦ the Wine Spectator forum. To be honest I was having a hard time navigating that site. I didnā€™t even know that anyone had responded until Wes Barton mentioned it.

Drew, the CSW is nothing but a stepping stone to the CWE. I donā€™t think anyone who knows what it is gives it much credit at all. Lots of people in the business have it, but I donā€™t think it has helped many people at all to get their jobs. It only shows that you have a very basic understanding of wine. Certified Sommelier does show that you have at least a basic understanding of wine and wine service, which is good for the service industry. Plus, you can go on to Advanced, which is quite rigorous and generally well respected in the industry among those who are familiar with it. The problem with any certification is that a lot of the people doing the hiring just arenā€™t familiar with the different programs and levels of difficulty. The Court of Master Sommeliers certifications seem to have the widest recognition, even with MW, but the latter would be a far off goal for you at this point and has nothing to do with the service industry. If you think you might want to eventually be in some other part of the business, I would suggest WSET. For your immediate goals, though Certified Sommelier sounds like your best bet. The eventual goal of CWE can really help you out in any part of the business as well. Managing a service staff well obviously involves a lot of wine education, and wine education can increase sales hugely. Thatā€™s the way to sell potential employers on that one. Keep in mind that you can always pursue multiple certifications as you go, but your first step should be whatever will help you most with your immediate goal. I hope that helps.