UPS

Got an interesting call from UPS tonight.

So, our UPS driver makes daily pickups at the winery around 3pm. If we have additional shipments or just plain miss him, it’s been my practice for years to personally deliver the packages to the local UPS office about a mile away, which I did again tonight.

Tonight a nice lady calls from UPS and informs me that UPS is now “enforcing their long standing policy” of not allowing wine drop-offs at their shipment locations. All wine shipments must be picked up from the winery locations and not delivered in person. So, UPS is shipping the wine back to me tomorrow morning on one truck, and then picking it back up on another truck tomorrow afternoon.

Any other winemakers/wineries dealt with this? Does Fedex have a similar policy?

FedEx still allows drop offs at their FedEx stores. I do it all the time. Never a problem.

If you’re lucky. Another possibility is that your wine will be delivered after the pick-up truck has come and gone.

Perhaps it’s me, that sounds like an exceedingly stupid policy–one that only increases their costs and causes more work for both you & them. Did they state the reason behind this policy?

Bruce

Oh I doubt it will increase the cost. The winery will probably be charged for having the wine returned, and charged again when it goes out (again).

I meant increase the cost to UPS and/or the winery, not to the consumer. And if a winery customer dropped off wine with UPS and UPS accepted it at their facility, I’m not sure what UPS’s argument would be for charging the winery for a return. Again, though, I don’t see the point in this UPS policy in the first place.

Bruce