Harvest anecdotes wanted

We are a small 5000 case/year winery, and my young son who works in the winery does not believe that staff at other wineries work long hours like we do during crush. I would love to get information that I could share with my son about other wineries’ experiences during crush, particularly length of large-pick days, days worked in a row, and similar facts. In retrospect, it probably would have been good for my son to work for another winery in California for a year or two before joining ours!

Trying to scare him out of the family business?

The last day I did not come to the winery at all was probably August 25th. Since the Labor Day weekend, I have been at work from 5:30-5:45AM until 7-9PM, depending on the day, with the occasional earlier departure.

I have triplets whose birthday is the 13th (tomorrow). They’ll be 5. I have never spent more than 2 hours at their birthday party, but due to the early nature of this crush, I will come in at my normal time but only stay until about 8 and then take the rest of the day off. Guessing my first day of not coming here at all will be a couple weekends from now.

When I was at Peachy Canyon I would routinely work around 75 days straight, with one year being a little over 80 days (83 I think). During the busiest period, 16 hour days are not unusual at all.

There’s always the southern hemisphere. Or perhaps a two week internship in a warmer part of CA before you get too busy.

I can send you anonymous work logs if you’d like, Jim. For employees, sixty to eighty hour weeks are the norm at the height of harvest. I used to do several 100+ hour weeks a year before I had kids.

On the farming side: I usually wind up working about 45-50 days straight. My days will not be as long as winery folks. I get to where I can’t sleep much, even if given the chance. Worrying/thinking about too many things mostly how the hell are we going to DO this? About 40% into harvest this year I was starting to wonder if there was some other line of work I could get into. The stress and pressure can get to you. I think with every harvest, you age 1.5 years, and this was an EASY one!

My son loves NZ – been there three times and going back in a few months.

I’m sure he does…

Thanks all for your input! Tends to confirm what I have always felt–most of us do this because of a passion for wine–not for the $$$. Wes, good idea about the Southern Hemisphere; we lived in Australia for five years and still have a lot of friends there (although I don’t remember a group like Roberto’s!). Ian, whatever you could send along would be most welcome.

I’ve been told that I’ve had it easy despite the fast and large harvest in Sonoma. Since starting in mid-August, I’ve had about 4 days off. Days are usually 10 -12 hours long but have hit about 15 hours as needed. Lots of early starts, lots of hard physical work, not enough sleep. It’s great…

And yes, he should probably get experience elsewhere before jumping into family affairs.

'Takes a lot if beer to make good wine.
Although, maybe that’s not what you were looking for.
Best, Jim

For me harvest and crush are the fun part. Long hours, yes, no days off for nearly 3 months starting with bottling prep, yes, days with little to no sleep, yes.

But, I don’t have to do events, bookeeping, sales trips, or any other day to day tasks. Thanks to my wife taking over all that stuff and the tasting room. We don’t have to go to any weddings or family events either. We get to drink beer and eat mexican food often with no guilt.

I think the hardest part of a small winery is keeping on top of all the day to day tasks while still focusing on sales/marketing/Public relations. I like forgetting about them and only focusing on grape growing and wine making during the magical time of year.

Joe–I totally agree with you–I also love crush for a lot of the reasons you cited, and during this time, my wife handles all external stuff. When I sometimes say to her that I would like to focus just on winemaking (and the vineyard) year round, she reminds me that I could do that if we were a much larger winery–but then I wouldn’t get to do all the hands-on winemaking things that I do!

I just try to beat the sun every morning.

Now I’ve got to go back taking care of my working wife. Shopping and dinners for me now (which for the most part I like). Bring on the pot roast weather!

Tell you what, I’ll send you a copy for free. Just send me your email.
http://www.amazon.com/50-Tips-For-Cellar-Rats/dp/0557423627/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1383615397&sr=8-3&keywords=cellar+rats
The young man on the cover is my son.
And certain Berserkers (cough, cough, not to be named) are quoted in the book and give advice on humility, attention span, focus, etc.

Customers viewing this page may be interested in these sponsored links
(What’s this?)

Got Rats? opens new browser window

•   Experts in Trapping, Proofing & Clean Up. $75 Inspections Today! 	http://www.mybugzappers.com/

Discreet Rodent Proofing opens new browser window

•   The Courteous Solution to Rodent Problems 	http://www.discreetrodentproofing.com/

Rats In Your Attic? opens new browser window

•   We solve your rodent problem! Call Today For a Free Inspection 	http://www.reliablerodentsolutions.com/

[rofl.gif]

It’s so refreshing and heart-warming to see how many vintners appreciate their wives and everything they do during harvest. Your ladies are lucky women, gentlemen!