Calling All Wine Lovers -Leaving on a Jet Plane - To Make Wine in Romania!!!! :)

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” - H.T

Hello Fellow Wine Lovers! I am so excited to reach you all :slight_smile: With love and appreciation!

I read this book as all you know called the Road to Burgundy by Ray Walker!
Well, an amazing book indeed and while reading his book, as I am part Romanian/German and grew up on my grandmothers vineyard I recognized the old methods that the French monks used in Ray’s book as it was identical to what my grandmother uses in Romania. Anyway, my partner and I did our research on Romanian wine and found that it is on the same parallel as Bordeaux, Tuscany and all the other big players. We also found out that the Romania has a terroir that is top 10 in the world! We found out where premium sites are located and learned about the Romanian economy and opportunities available as it joined the EU in 2007. Ok, now here is the fun part… are you ready?

While doing our research we stumbled across another premium wine maker in Romania.
He owns an establishment there so we just sent him a random email with no expectation on his business.
Turns out, not only does he have some land available which are already producing with grapes currently being sold but he put us in touch with the IT person to get funding & GRANTS for setting up our own world class winery in Romania! How cool is that!!! Now, all we have to do is head over, secure a site & equipment, find great investors, and get production going by the end of the month LOL! Now, the season may be over but my grandparents already have high quality wine stored in barrels. And let me tell you, if you have not tasted good quality crafted wine from Romania you haven’t tasted wine. Most wines give me headaches but not hers. She has older vines, concentrated flavors, and everyone in her village doesn’t know what she does but try to copy her methods as hers is known as the best! And as a humble wine maker myself… I agree. This is why this journey just gives me so much Energry, so much Passion, a Purposeful Fueled life because the Whole world needs to taste this wine, not just my old village. Stay tuned, let it be said right here, I am going to make the Bestest wine that ever came out of Romania. Phew felt good to say that!

So, here we are now. Selling all our belongings and jumping ship on a new adventure in a new country
to learn and apply the art of wine making. I wanted to share this story for anyone who is working somewhere
where they want to feel more appreciation, for the entrepreneurs to follow their dreams, for the
ones that are staying safe - to take a leap of faith and enter in the abyss of unlimited opportunity.

Am I a wine Oenologist? - No.
Have I studied Viticulture? - No.
How about wine terminology? - I’m learning fast!!
BUT, I have been exposed to 50+ years of wine making since I was one with the good old tradition way just like the French did way back in the 19th century. So, considering all of this I would say I have just a little step ahead of Ray Walker where he learned from books and look at him now, making premium amazing wine! And if you haven’t heard of him yet you will shortly and guess what, you will hear about me too!

Here we are on our European adventure. A little bit nervous and a whole lot of excited with meeting our new contacts in Romania and setting up our business proposal with our consultant for EU funding. We definitely want to share with you on the excitement and hey you never know who is out there, am I right? :slight_smile: We have certainly had our fair share of challenges but as they say this too shall pass. Zig - PMA - Positive Mental Attitude and I say a little biz smarts will get you a long way.

Anyway, just reaching out with again no expectation and letting the universe play this as it may. We have sent our proposal for funding - if anyone is interested in joining this adventure and being a part of SOMETHING SO BIG, and SO DIFFERENT, and TALK ABOUT TIMING of entering we are ready and willing to share with other wine lovers. I truly love vineyards, and wine, and the industry and I am reaching to like minded people who are just as crazy to understand this :slight_smile:

Please feel free to email me for anything. Maybe you know of some people there, or Germany, or Austria that we can reach out to? or here :slight_smile:

With love and light,

In friendship,

Nicky
Email: luckynickynovember@gmail.com

Good luck to you. Please keep us posted on your journey.
Would love to see some pictures of the vineyard, the winery and the scenery.

Hi T!
OMG my first reply! You BET I will! I am so excited!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
Every little bit MEANS THE WORLD TO ME!
Great big hugs!
In friendship,
Nicky
PS-When the winery opens, you must come visit. I will have a bottle waiting just for you & all my new friends I develop along the way :slight_smile:

Best of luck to you! Definitely keep in touch and keep us posted!

Thanks ED! YOU BET!
Hugs,
In friendship,
Nicky

Nicky, good luck on your voyage. Sorry for being ignorant, but what wine variety work well in your area.

Moving this to Cellar Rats, which is for discussions about winemaking and winemakers

Hi E Chin :slight_smile: Thanks for your question. Well firstly, the region we are looking at is Dealu Mare which is known for producing fine tasting wine and is close to the Black Sea. Dealu basically means a hill so we have some nice conditions for grapes there. The famous red varietie is Fetească neagră and of course the Pinot Noir for whites the best for that regions I think is Murfatlar which is region just a bit closer to the black sea. As for aromatics or more of a dessert wine Tămâioasă Românească is known to be the frankincense of grapes there… So much more to learn when I head over :slight_smile: Will keep you all posted :slight_smile:

Good luck! I’ve certainly read that Romania was once known widely for world-class wines. I’d guess a lot of the biggest challenges will be on the business side.

Hi Wes!

Thank you for the warm wishes. Approaching near to my take off date :slight_smile:
Currently looking into some basic and manual machinery for labels, corking, ect…

Yes you are right, Romania was once known for world-class wine. Hence why now, with
some funding in place, a lot of investors are jumping in on the opportunity. I am there for
the opportunity as well but more importantly I would love to showcase the heritage and
wine making principles that Romania was known for a viticulture dating back more than 6000 years!
I know it may be around top 15 producing wine countries in the world.

I think the biggest challenge will be the Marketing. That’s it. Business is in place just have to show the
world what we can produce :wink:

Will keep you all posted with photos coming soon! Thank you for all the encouragement and kind words.

In friendship,

Nicky

Now I want to try some Romanian wine!!

Best of luck on your (somewhat crazy!) journey! Love your spirit!

Thanks J! Nice to hear my journey is somewhat crazy versus full crazy LOL! Coming down to crunch time. Garage sale this weekend. Hopefully we sell enough for all of us to go, otherwise, reaching out to more investors :slight_smile: Coming near to the end of month, Europe here we come!

My grandmother is from Romania and used to make her own wine also. I notice I don’t get headaches from small production wines, as well as more expensive wines. I assume they don’t use all the additives and chemicals. My neighbor, Italian, goes back to Italy yearly and returns with wonderful wines. She also has the wine headache problem, and says she has never gotten one from wine purchased in Italy.

Hi Chaya! thank you for posting this! I am determined and will put Romania wine in the top 3 in the world where it belongs. I truly am inspired by my positive reaction (and no headaches!) to my grandma’s wine as you experienced. I believe, sorry I know, the chemical is a factor to the headaches. This wine needs to be shared world wide and not kept in grandma’s cellar. I will be fusing old and new world techniques. Basically new to cut the labour but not the quality and no chemicals because after all the grapes need is a little guidance as they are turning into wine. Thanks all again for the wonderful post and your continued support.

Hugs,

In friendship,

Nicky

Day 1 of Moving Sale - Tiring! LOL Wow we had people outside early! Heading out to wedding tonight for somewhat relaxing atmosphere and laugh out loud moments with dear friends. Day 2 on tomorrow. Keep you posted :slight_smile:

Hi All! Just wanted to give an update after the sale. We have successfully raised $3,000 total for our project! Wow! Pretty good! The things you can accomplish when you are inspired and all in a week. Our target is $10,000 for flight, car, basic, rent, equipment, ect… If anyone out there knows of investors or funding aides please put us in touch. All the best friends! Talk to you soon! In less than 2 weeks, we are heading off no matter what…even if we have to walk to Romania LOL

Hi All! Just wanted to say I have reached GERMANY!!! 10 Hours flight and all is well. Will be driving to Romania and checking out the scenery! My family will be heading over in early October - LOOKING FORWARD TO THAT! Pictures to come!!! Stay tuned :wink: Thanks all again for your support :slight_smile: Be well.

Hi All!!!

I HAVE PICS!!!

Here is a blog my partner and I did a while back so instead of creating a new we just used the same site.

http://www.thehappyartists.blogspot.ca/

Click on OLDER POST - to see more pics. you can subscribe to keep updated!

In friendship,

Nicky and Pam (and Charlie - woof)

Hello World!

I have some more pics of the last harvest for 2013. Details and pictures found on site:

thehappyartists.blogspot.ca

ENJOY!!!

Stay tuned for pics of Austria :wink: any comments, feedback, questions are welcomed!
Will start bottling once I hit Romania. Stay tuned!

[promotional plug removed by admin]

In friendship,

Nicky :slight_smile:

Hi All!!!

I hope each and every person reading this post is doing GREAT! And living life WELL! :slight_smile:

We are heading out next week to check out some vineyard sites! EXCITING TIMES!

Also meeting with some very well established wineries here in Romania so VERY HAPPY WITH THAT!

Will keep our blog posted with pics and videos of our travels.

Be well. Live curiously. Play.

Nicky, Pam and Charlie