Neutralizing chlorine in a water supply

My water supply has chlorine in it. Trying to figure out a way to neutralize it so I can clean barrels. I’ve read ascorbic acid will work, but that might also be a problem.

Right now the best I can do is buy distilled water and shake the barrels around by hand.

We found a simple in line filter that seems to help. Been in our current facility for 11 years w no issues. Don’t know how you clean or hydrate, but we add ozone into the mix. There are rentable units here, not sure where you are Hope this helps

We found a simple in line filter that seems to help. Been in our current facility for 11 years w no issues. Don’t know how you clean or hydrate, but we add ozone into the mix. There are rentable units here, not sure where you are Hope this helps

Activated carbon filter is the best for chlorine removal, will also remove other offending organics. Just relative that you should replace it every few years and run water though it regularly to prevent it from going septic.

Sodium bisulfite also neutralizes chlorine, but do not overdose it

I like this idea, simple and easy.

Now to find a filter that I can work through a hose.

Thank you everyone.!

Some companies make filters to use on a shower head. Once you find one, it will be easy to plumb it onto your garden hose fittings.

Found this…

Would you trust this to remove the chlorine to clean your barrels?

Also, for starting yeast, no CL in the water.

Yes, that will very likely work.

Just change the filter at or before suggested gallons the filter is rated for and before you can smell/taste ANY Chlorine in the output. I’d smell and taste your untreated and the treated water while the filter is fresh for comparison.

This looks similar to what you found, but here’s another option:

thank you…that one actually looks way better in terms of gallons filtered!

thank you!

awesome, thanks andrew!

Take a low tech approach. Put your tap water in a pot, boil it up and put it in clean bottles after It cooled down again. Store It in the fridge and if you don’t like the result you can still opt for a more sophisticated solution.
Have fun :wink:

Funny you started this thread… I’ve been looking for the same thing… I purchased this filter earlier this morning… I have 3 brand new barrels I need to swell out as well in the next week or so…

http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Hose-Filter-Pesticides-Herbicides/dp/B007I6MN72/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378229979&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=chlornie+hose+filter

i’m going to throw in a tsp of K-meta as well for added insurance… I’ve seen posts saying k-meta neutralizes chlorine as well…

Would a reverse osmosis filter remove chlorine?

Might be kind of hard to wash barrels like that. [wow.gif]

No, the chlorine will actually oxidize the membrane in the RO. Chlorine also being a gas will pass through the membrane pores.

Feel free to ask water questions, it is what I do, design and build water treatment facilities.

I believe most places have switched over to treating water with chloramine, which its practically impossible to boil off:

Will the systems in the links above effectively remove chlorine ? Does any system look better?

The inline filter from Amazon looks good, I would not use it very long (just days or weeks, not months). Home Depot also has some, the key is to look for those that have Activated Carbon as the filter medium.

From http://morebeer.com/products/water-filter-10-carbon-block.html:

After talking to different manufacturers it is our understanding that chloramines can be removed by carbon filtration if the water has a long contact time with the carbon. It is recommended to use at a fill rate of less than 1 gallon per minute in order to remove chloramines.

I tasted the water from the filter at full blast and it seemed fine for me, but if your facility has high water pressure take note.