Co-Inoculation in Pinot Noir

I’ve been seriously considering inoculation with both yeast & ML bacteria at roughly the same time this upcoming vintage.

We already inoculate with Enoferm Alpha post AF, with great results.

We make primarily Pinot, does anyone have any thoughts about this?

(From Scott Labs Fermentation Handbook )

ARTICLE
Dr. Sibylle A. KRIEGER-Weber , Lallemand

ECONOMIC YEAST AND MALOLACTIC BACTERIA CO-INOCULATION IN RED WINE

SUMMARY
Early co-inoculation with commercial MLF starter cultures
24 hours after the yeast showed in various studies to be
very efficient. Co-inoculation finished AF and MLF within a
short time frame which can be positively applied to cellar
productivity. All combinations of this co-inoculation strat-
egy produced less biogenic amines than other treatments.
Co-inoculating with 1-Step cultures under high pH condi-
tions can be used with a short rehydration step in water
(with the activator added for best results).
When using appropriate yeast and MLB combinations and
applying best manufacturing practices, co-inoculation of
bacteria with yeast did not affect AF kinetics. No signifi-
cant difference in the volatile acidity levels was found,
even under high pH red wine conditions.

I dont inoculate for ETOH or ML so they happen together to some degree and finish together sometimes. Some vintages up to half the lots are done with ETOH and ML after 3 weeks in the fermentor. The main difference I taste is with the tannins based on when so2 is added. I prefer slower ML’s so that the tannins have longer to polymerize with out so2. Also total so2 is lower in the final wines. I try to use as little so2 as possible and the only wine I have made that was over 100ppm total was a lot the finished ml in the fermentor from a higher pH vintage. Maintaining free so2 in barrel post ml for 9-10 months takes a lot of little adds of 8-10 ppm.

In the past two years I have used co-inoculation. By co I mean add the ML post lag. What I understand is that you want to let the yeast get well established first before the bacteria is added. That way the bacteria has no chance to metabolize sugar. Over all it worked great for us and saved time. The wines did not seem all that different from the old way of adding it post ferment, if anything the wines tasted better. But at my ex-winery we did not use any so2 so I have no reference for what Joe is saying about tannin structure and so2. It seemed like an improvement for us, and we also used strains of yeast and ML from Scott. Who by the way were always great to work with. Cheers and good luck.

I am planning to experiment with this approach as well. I had wanted to give it a shot last season, but did not get all the materials/info I needed in time. I have been cautioned that this approach recommended for low to very low pH musts. Compare plans & notes this harvest?

If it works just as well, it would save me hundreds in propane.

BTW, nice fruit on the wines of yours that I tasted the other day in Healdsburg. Particularly the first two. 10’s, I think.

Hey Andrew, thanks!

Yes, the first two in or tasting room are 10’s (Sonoma Coast, Sonoma Mountain), and the last two are 11’s…

Way different. I’m sure gonna miss those 10’s!