Hiring a part time salesperson ?

We are deciding that we need a part time sales rep to expand our sales in the South Bay area as Jane and I are too busy with day jobs to visit restaurants and wine shops. Our concept is a part time “lighthearted” sales person (probably female 35-50) working a few afternoons a month.

here is our working draft of a job description. Any comments are appreciated.

Part Time Wine Sales Representative

Required:
Able to lift 40+ lb cases of product as needed into vehicle
Have insured, reliable vehicle, CA license and excellent driving record
Able to work afternoons part time servicing accounts in Bay Area
Able to speak and write english at better than high school level
Pleasant “Lighthearted” manner and ease with people

Duties:
Prospect for clients in South Bay Area
Make appointments & present wines to accounts
Maintain records of calls and orders, transmit orders to winery
Service accounts as needed including occasional deliveries
Help represent Lightheart Cellars at trade events as needed

Compensation:
Commission and expenses

Will you be able to find somebody who is dedicated enough working part time? Is it too costly to sign up with a reputable distributor who will promote the wines?

We are at the 300 cs volume and going to 1000. Not aware of many distributors who would be interested in such a small winery.

Canopy Wine Group, http://www.canopywinegroup.com/ or another small, local distributor who caters to small production wineries. There was a new one in the Napa Paper last week who was going to stop the bottle neck of large distributors so small wineries would be represented.

Don’t know if either of those will help but it’s a start.

I find that about 25% of our lawyer clients dream of getting into the wine business and are constantly asking me how to get a foot in the door. You might not even have to pay them.

Sheldon - Send me a PM. I’ve done much better hiring my own part time sales person than any of the three distributors I’ve hired and fired. I have someone right now working for me and she may be able to take on a second brand.