Hanna Instruments HI 84100-01 Mini Titration System for So2 Measurements

Does anyone have any thoughts and/or feelings about this system? is there a better/cheaper/easier in house system?

We have between 50 & 100 barrels at any one time, and are walking distance from the Scott Labs office in Healdsburg, but I was looking for the ability to do instant S02 measuring.

http://www.amazon.com/Hanna-Instruments-84100-01-Titration-Measurements/dp/B004H4XLWY/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1309130234&sr=1-11

Thanks!

If you start at this post and read down, some people discuss the Hanna.

http://www.wineberserkers.com/viewtopic.php?p=568127#p568127

I have never used it personally, but I do use their TA titrator, which I like.

The quality control of Hanna manufacturing is clearly a concern, though their tech support has been good to work with.

We bought the 81400, and suffered through the startup pains: First unit was DOA and the the replacement (took a few weeks to process through Hanna in RI) had a probe that was bad on 2nd day (it sucked up a 2" column of red, so we could see it) That was replaced overnight and we’ve had good results since.

All of the peristaltic pump hoses had to be trimmed to work, basically pop off the connector and cut 2mm off.

Chemical costs for the calibration, titrant, etc are not large when compared to sending samples.

With this tool, we hope to be able to sample every barrel each month at topping. Usage is simple and the automatic endpoint is reasonably precise. Down the road, we’ll probably convert to a mult-parameter tool, but they are relatively spendy at > 10X.

An earlier discussion on SO2: Red SO2 Test Issue - Cellar Rats (ITB) - WineBerserkers

Update: We are using the Vinmetrica with good, consistent results. It is quick, easy and so far every sample we have sent in to Vinquiry has had a good correlation.

The reading we get with the Vinmetrica are consistently 12-15% above the readings from Vinquiry, but they are that way EVERY time so far. 5 samples.

For example, I get a reading of 33ppm, and what comes back from Vinquiry is 29ppm.

Each test is about 70 cents. The guy who makes it has been easy to reach and helpful.

I used to dread the day I had face the AO. Now, I get done sooner than I think and have confidence in the results.

I give it two thumbs up

We bought a Milwaukee Autotitrator from Mavrik. My lab is very happy with it and it cost a lot less than the Hanna. Not looking at it, so I can’t tell you the model.