Family Winemakers SF, Aug. 21 - Tips for First Time Pouring?

I look forward to attending but have never been to such an event.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do or not to do at such events?

How many wines do people tend to bring and how much of each do you end up going through?

Thanks in advance!

I’m not ITB, but I’ve helped out several times.

The top 3 things to do at an event

1. Get the e mail information of everyone that stops at your table.
  2. See #1 above.
  3. See #2 above.

I did this tasting a few times. You need nerves of steel.

Get there early - there will likely be crowded drop-off/parking.

Taste your wines before you pour - if there is a rush at your table and you forget this step, the attendees will not let you hear the end of it (if it is an off bottle).

Be prepared to say the same thing over and over and over…with a smile.

If someone asks you a question you don’t have the answer to, tell them you don’t have it at your fingertips, but give them your card and ask them to email the question to you. You will never hear from them. If you do, good, you have a chance to be honest and to connect with them personally. Some people just want to play stump the stars.

Wear sturdy shoes.

Don’t be afraid to ask people who linger at your table if they could move to the side so the next people in line can get a pour.

Thanks for your help, Merrill & Dan!

I’ve helped pour at a few of these large tastings. To be honest, I’ve enjoyed it. I haven’t been to Family Winemakers the last few years. It used to be huge, lots of people attending but also lots of wineries so it was challenging to know how much wine to bring because tables don’t all see the same traffic. My observation has been that if you look like you’re having a good time and engaging with people, it tends to draw in more people. That’s particularly true with attendees who don’t already know something about your winery.

Too many different wines can look daunting, but you also want to show the breadth of your line-up. I’d shoot for something in the middle, with maybe a couple of things under the table. Need to worry about how to keep whites and roses cool.

Have a sign-up sheet, but don’t hard sell it. Let the wines sell it. Also, it’s good to have business cards or something to handout with your website link.

-Al

Thanks Al.

How many people do you think we can/could fit behind one table?

1. Get good and stoned.
  2. Drink the whole time.

…kidding, but that definitely makes it more manageable. When I did this event, I’ve never seen a whole lot of traction with the consumer base. You get a lot of names and emails but it never turns into much. The best part here for a small winery is often the one or two distribution/ITB relationships that actually pan out and turn into something over the next few years. We got our first broker at a Family winemaker’s tasting – and he turned out to be sort of shady. But without him, we wouldn’t have made it through our first two years and I’d probably be a desk jockey for Constellation right now.

Don’t sweat all the drunk people and BS. Close the circle on those couple of relationships that will really into something. Have a nice reservation for after the tasting and a comfy bed to sleep in.

Thanks Al.

How many people do you think we can/could fit behind one table?

They have been through a couple of venues and changed in size since the last time I attended. I’d guess that two or three is the typical number, or a couple more if you want to switch off.

-Al

Thanks, Al & Ian.

Nearly all of that sounds like good, helpful advice… [berserker.gif]

I agree with Ian that the SF FWM has been best for finding brokers/distributors, and much less good at finding repeat direct customers. A friend that pour a few times in SF with disappointing results poured in DelMar and got a fair number of repeat direct customers. Of course, it’s all about how the particular crowd you get likes you (i.e. if someone esp attractive is behind the table…I mean how they like your wine :slight_smile: ). Hope it works well for you!

Yeah, show some cleavage Andrew.

I have heard tales of finding distributors at Family Winemakers, but I got a lot more “friends of” Trade than actual Trade at the last couple of these I attended. Coupled with the high membership/table fee, these events became unworthwhile for me.

Wow. I am not feeling real hopeful that this will be a good use of my time. Does anyone have any encouraging thoughts?

As the years have gone on, I think buyers for restaurants and wine shops have tipped the scales their way. The last time I poured at a big public tasting like that, even in the trade portion, real buyers with real power gave their tickets to administrative people within their organizations. A perk for the employee, but time not well spent for me, pouring wine for someone who has been given a nice perk but has no buying power. Wine buyers for restaurants and shops can easily get wineries and distributors in to show and taste them on the goods personally. My 2 cents.