Foot treading?

In a discussion with fellow winemakers regarding some topics of discussion for a technical seminar on Pinot Noir. We were discussing pump overs, punch downs, and foot treading. Our quick searches on the legality federally or by OSHA did not yield great clear results. With recent issues with the ABC up here at events the group did not want to be involved in promoting anything grey area. We were thinking of having several winemakers on a panel who use different types of pump overs, or hand vs mechanical punchdowns, or the air pulsators, or foot treading and having ETS run tannin assays to see how the profiles differed hopefully with as few as possible vineyard sources. We have all seen and heard many instances of it being done but could not verify potiental federal or OSHA issues.

I have treaded by rubber boot/waders at a winery I worked for on a 100% whole cluster lot. If I need to fit more white whole clusters in my wooden slatted basket press I have hopped in with sterilized boots to compact the clusters to fit more in the press, that 5th bin does not always like to fit. We once made some home wine 100% whole cluster that was foot treaded and it was dreadful, cold temps in the low 40’s causing cramps and wooden foot (as us skiers call it) as well as sharp stems. We had no destemmer or access to one that year so I thought that would be the best method.

What where you treading in? In the Douro, they use wide stone lagars and bare feet. Many swear by them.

I know they still do it over there, as you state especially in porto. Feet are perfect in that there are no sharp edges or pressure points so the thery is no seeds or stems get broken releasing undesirable tannins.

I was referring to domestic wine production.

I tread barefoot for the early punchdowns – before my punchdown tool can have any effect on whole clusters. The stems (much less the occasional yellow jacket or earwig) don’t feel great, and I’m not all that happy with my ability to really mix up the cap by foot in larger fermenters. Feet are probably a better tool for macro-bin sized lots.

Not quite sure about the question… Foot treading has been in use for thousands of years. It’s an obvious and efficient way to get the ferment started. On the other hand, “…pump overs, punch downs, and foot treading…” are different approaches for different results. As for me, with whole cluster lots, I’ll get the ferm started by treading barefoot (after thoroughly sanitizing my feet and legs), and the colder there fruit, the better. Once the cap forms, depending on what kind of extraction I want, I’ll punchdown or pump over. I’m considering setting up a fully submersible tool that will keep the solids below the juice line throughout the ferment for a more gentle extraction. However, if I’m destemming I don’t typically find the need to tread since there’s already plenty of juice. I work in small lots 1 to 1.5 tons in open fermenters.

Sorry about not being clear enough with the question. I’ll try again. We would like to do a seminar and include foot treading as part of it. Several folks thought actual foot treading is illegal to do on commercial wine in the USA. Others thought it was a OSHA violation. Google did not seem to give any results. What say you WB ITB knowledge base.

It could be one of the many wine myths that gets passed down from generation to generation. I’ve always heard that barefoot punchdowns were illegal in California for commercial wine, but I’ve never actually seen anything in writing. I don’t know if it’s the ABC, Dept. of Food and Ag, Public Health or some other government group that outlaws the practice. After a couple hours of searching online, I give up.

We do 4 or 5 whole cluster fermentations each year, and we use sanitized boots to get in the bins for the punchdowns. The boots we use are only for punchdowns, not for walking around at all. After the fermentations really take off, we can switch to our regular stainless punchdown tools to take over for the boots, usually by 15 brix or lower.

We used to use Cabela’s thick fishing waders to stomp in. Sanitized, of course.

http://edmundsstjohn.com/october-23-2010/

Why am I grossed out by the idea of bare foot treading? Yes, I know the “old world” has done it for eons. But their wines are also often pretty dirty. Just seems wrong…

They’re unlikely to catch anything serious as long as they clean their feet afterwards.

-Al

Ha! funny

So I sent the question in to the TTB and this is what I got back. No issues at the TTB level anyway.

Mr. Webb:

The Alcohol & Tobacco Tax & Trade Bureau (TTB) does not regulate bare foot treading. That is, TTB does not provide for it but nor do the TTB regulations prohibit it. However, it is a practice that might be regulated (prohibited) by Federal and State health codes.

I hope this is helpful.

Kara
Regulations and Rulings Division
Alcohol & Tobacco Tax & Trade Bureau

Fermentation kills everything.

I foot tread anything with whole cluster to essentially squeeze out any little air pockets in the must. I never had VA “problems” with whole cluster but you do get more of it. Treading helps really flatten out the zip lock if you know what I mean. Satisfying.

I doubt there will be a prohibition on foot treading, as your feet can be cleaned as well as your hands can be. Regulations may exist on steps necessary to insure cleanliness.

I foot tread all of my red lots, as I go 100% whole cluster on everything red. I also foot tread the grapes I use for my Rose, leaving them on the skins for about an hour after stomplng the hell out of them.

I know you didn’t ask, but I’d be curious what tannin tests ETS will be using? Just total tannins or stuff like the Harbertson Adams Assay which breaks them down further? Also, I’m assuming you’ll also look at total phenolics and you should definitely look at VA and color measurements, too.

Will you have the winemakers take the same lot and break them up into different smaller lots and try to treat them ‘identically’?

As far as VA and foot stomping goes, there is no doubt that with 100% stem inclusion, you risk a chance of elevated levels early on in the fermentation, especially during cold soak, and throughout if you do not punch down on a regular basis. Certain varieties seem to be worse than others - Syrah not so bad; Mourvedre worse . . .

Thanks for what the TTB says. My concern would be with OSHA - it amazes me how often folks say it is ‘illegal’ but as Ed mentioned, no one can find where. And if OSHA is going to worry about that, perhaps they can spend more time worrying about crazy ladders and walkways at wineries which are DEFINITELY NOT to code :slight_smile:

Cheers.

Well said Marcus.

Joe, there is no regulation as far as I know that requires anything coming in contact with wine to be sanitized, including hands, feet, implements, etc., much less the bird crap and mice and snakes in the vineyard that sometimes end up in fermentors. It is general good practice to follow those sanitation guidelines but is not required. That is why we have many wines with bacterial and other populations that cause off flavors and aromas but are not “illegal”. There are no known human pathogens that will survive an alcoholic fermentation so that is why there are no regulations regarding sanitation of all things coming in contact with wine. There is a reason you have never heard of an e. coli outbreak related to wine and it’s not because the wine industry is the best regarding workers washing their hands.

We foot tread our whole cluster syrah until we get a cap and can punch it down with a tool. Feet are the only implement that can flatten out to get to the bottom of the clusters, then snap up and pull those clusters to the top of the bin. As a general rule we do not go more than 6-8 inches above the knee into the must as to avoid certain regions that should never be in contact with wine (unless you are obscenely rich and can afford to bathe in wine).

Just to reiterate I am not against it, just don’t do it on my wines. We are looking at exploring a technical seminar on whole cluster usage and technique for the cap management.

I have never seen bird crap, mice, or snakes in the incoming fruit or fermentors. Again not that it may not happen but with good crews handpicking grapes the worst I have seen in drip emitters or green tie tape. Now machine picked fruit maybe. We usually run 2-3 sorters in the vineyard and then 2-4 at the winery so there is nothing like that getting thru to my wines or any wines anywhere I have worked with similar set ups.

I was re-watching some videos during lunch today and Jim from ABC stated the exact thing the AVWA is worried about in regards to bare feel being illegal in some way. Go to the 35 minute mark to hear his comments that make it sound like its a CA thing. Post harvest I will look into it a little more. http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/29041939 I know Jamie Kutch uses waders on his 100% whole clusters lots at least in the videos I have seen of him doing them on Facebook.

If you are doing treading for something besides just crushing, I have always felt barefoot gave you way more info vs boots, most importantly temp in all parts of the fermenter…