Is regrafting a solution to black rot?

I have been fighting with what I diagnosed as black rot on my backyard grapevines (grapes start to plump up, then quickly revert to “mummies” and within 6 weeks my whole trellis of 4 vines is nearly wiped out). I have tried to research and treat over the last 2 years to almost no avail. My vines are de Chaunac and Chambourcin, and at 5 years of age, have never really given me any usable crop.

Will regrafting these over to something less black rot susceptible (apparently de Chaunac is known to succumb to this) help at all, or would it be better to completely replant, something I really don’t want to do?

Also, I’ve never grafted before, so I’m going to have to figure that out. Am I silly to think I can do this succesfully?

Any of the knowledge on here thrown my way would be greatly appreciated.

There’s pretty good advise on the wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_rot_(grape_disease)

My thought is that planting or grafting more resistant varieties is what you’d do in your region as a preventative measure. With so much fungal presence around the vines already, I doubt re-grafting would help much. Control proximate plants. Remove all pruned material. Preventative and regular spray regime. Train to maintain air flow through the canopy - you want moisture to blow off when it warms up. Also, train to keep a good distance between the soil and the fruit and leaves - rain can splash spores up, introducing a large dose. A piece of advice from tomato growing, which are very susceptible to foliar disease, is never touch the vines when they are wet.

In my experience, if you had bad black rot it will take a few season to get it back under control. Remove and burn or bury all mummies and leaf little. Clean everthing off the trellis wire. Limit weeds or other plants around the vines.

The more you can reduce the source, the less the impact. It’s not likely that it will be completely eliminated in one year but if consistently done every year the pressure should drop enough that sprays and canopy management can keep it under control.

I don’t know how susceptible your varieties are so can’t say if grafting over will be worth the effort. I’ve got 16 different vinifera varieties and they all suffer black rot to some extent but the attention to vineyard cleanliness has made a huge impact.

Are there particular treatments you would recommend? Off hand I don’t remember what I used last year, but it is difficult to find the good stuff in small quantities.

Yarrrgh. There be no cure for the black rot.

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/fruitpathology/Bulletins/Controlling%20Grape%20Black%20Rot%20in%20Home%20Fruit%20Plantings.pdf

That attached bulletin discusses this and sprays you can maybe find in small quantities. Mancozeb works well to control the spread and you should be able to find it.