101-14 rootstock

What is the word on the street regarding its lack of phylloxera resistance?

It’s a riparia x rupestris cross, so it should be more resistant than many others.

I have been seeing that it is crashing early. Drought resistance seems to be a bigger issue. And a shorter cycle.

Unless there’s some hidden vinifera in its parentage or some new phylloxera phenotype?

I do think it’s over-planted, though. Not as “universal donor” as it’s made out to be.

A few years back there was a report of 101-14 Mgt rootstock phylloxera problem in specific vineyards and that it was not a widespread issue. I believe the issue was with a particular soil type in drought situations.

Didn’t hear the report, but we are certainly not talking about any phylloxera resistance/tolerance problems with 101-14. Its Riparia X Rupestris parentage gives it high Phylloxera resistance, like N Weis said previously.

From what’s been said, sounds like water status problem. It is fairly shallow rooted, so on lighter, &/or thinner, unirrigated soils there may be problems (young vines would also exacerbate it). Especially with heavier crop-loads, & it does enhance fruitfulness (& ripeness - it’s a shorter season & less vigorous rootstock than many of the deeper rooting stocks like Richter or Paulson).

Don’t have my Pongrancz handy, but I know there is a grafting issue with Syrah.

Agree it shouldn’t necessarily be considered a broadband/universal rootstock (there is no such thing. AXR1 clearly wasn’t, & most outside the US already knew), but can be useful in cooler areas where earlier ripening is desirable, & water status is taken into consideration.