A question for all of the women winemakers...

I am being asked more and more frequently to attend women winemakers dinners, pouring events, etc. Do you feel honored by this or annoyed that being a woman is some sort of handicap in winemaking? Just curious…

In Italy there is a very large organization called Le Donne del’Vino:

http://www.ledonnedelvino.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

English article about them (several pages):

Women of Wine: The Rise of Women in the Global Wine Industry - Ann B. Matasar - Google Books" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wouldn’t say it is looked at as a handicap as much as more of a curiosity, even though there are more women than ever in the biz. It is still a male dominated industry, after all. When I was in school there were nearly as many women as men in th enology dept., so it is changing.

Feel honored. Take differentiation where you can get it and run with it.

Don’t look at the themes to these things as some sort of back-handed compliment. Until we all start to get invited to the “geezer” themed ones [wink.gif]

Speaking for a woman owned winery, there are so many powerful woman out there, that I think this is a positive more than it being annoying. We don’t and can’t attend every woman-winemaker event, but we do take them very seriously.

Good on ya, and Rock on!

(T-Bone’s behind all you woman winemakers…hee hee)

…and in Burgundy, there is the Femmes et Vins de Bourgogne.

Not relevant since the board is fixed.

Dianna has always felt the same way, quite honestly, that it is singling her out for something that she didn’t do…and that perhaps overshadows what she has accomplished. Still, I think the opportunity outweighs the concerns.

Were there a tasting of wines made by mid-40s, slightly overweight, winemakers who drink too much…I’d attend.

Adam Lee
Siduri Wines

I don’t find it offensive at all, face it we are still in the minority - in particular those of us who tend our vineyards as well. Not quite “womens work” out there farming and running crews.

I’ve been called for interviews where the topic was “Women winemakers”, I found them to be well written, providing a different perspective and quite entertaining looking at the different backgrounds we come from.

Adam, if they have a cranky old lady category, count me in !

BTW, pressing reds today, getting some whites and the sky just turned black and the thunder is rolling - I love my job, I love my job, I love my job !

L

HAHAHAHAHAHAH. Good one Adam =)

Unless we are in the public’s eye how are we ever to gain traction? Admittedly, I would like to think that my presence is wanted because of my ability rather than my gender, but I am quite willing to go out, promote our winery, and represent my sisterhood.