Wi fi thermometer/hygrometer

I’m a residential remodeler in the SF bay area. And, I’m a lover of wine. A customer has asked me to build him a wine storage room on the lower floor of his home. We are planning to insulate and, as his home is in an area that can get very warm (West Contra Costa County), the room will have an active cooling system. What I’m concerned about is humidity. We’d like to maintain a humidity of around 70%. Generally, the air in the bay area contains adequate moisture for passive wine storage. However, the air in my customer’s climate may become dryer than the air in my climate (Berkeley) for a significant period of time. I’d like to monitor the relative humidity in this storage room to determine if, in fact, we need to install a humidifier. What I’m looking for is a device (a thermometer/hygrometer) from which I can remotely monitor temperature and humidity. Ideally, I’d be able to do this through my smart phone. Have any of you purchased or, on some level, had experience with such a device? I would love some feedback on this. Thanks much.

curious myself. found this…

http://www.acurite.com/environment-systems/temperature-humidity-environment-systems.html

Nice setup. Thanks for the link. Looks like under $100 you can get what Martin is looking for.

the app gets pretty bad reviews.

i’m interested in this and thinking of doing a DIY setup with a raspberry pi.

I use a La Crosse Technology TX60. Not sure if it has an app but you can view stats through the web and get text alerts when temp or humidy is outside of the ranges you set.

I’ve used the Sensorist which reports room temp, bottle probe temp and humidity.

I have sensors at two locations, a cellar and separate locker. Just need a wifi connection and
no problem as long as you’re reasonably close to the router without loads of concrete/steel in the way.
The app works fine. Controlling humidity (in my case too high) is a different problem.

The sensorist seems to be an eu brand. Any issues there? Long shipping time? How is the customer service? And, is the data retrievable via a smart phone app? It seems like a good system. Has it performed well for you? Thanks for the response.

Take a look at Onset Computers as I think they might have a data logger to meet your needs … http://www.onsetcomp.com

My Sensorist kit arrived in Oregon 12 days after I ordered it. I’ve been using it for close to a year and remain very happy with it. The iOS app and website both work great, and there’s an Android app as well.