Decanting/Unbottling Services?

We find ourselves in need of decanting 4000+ cases for a client, doing some adds, and rebottling.

We haven’t been able to locate anyone that offers this service and we aren’t exactly thrilled about doing it by hand. Anyone have any ideas?

I know I’ve seen another service down in the Napa Airport area advertised, but I can’t think of the name. Here’s a mobile service http://www.encoreglass.com/services/decanting.php

I’ll share that with the team, thanks!

Interesting. I never would have thought this would be needed. I could imagine unlabeled bottles being labeled for a private label, but never a wine being uncorked, remixed and rebottled. Reading the link above, one thought that came to mind is that if you dump a bunch of previously cork finished bottles into a reblending vat, don’t you run the risk of systemic TCA? Let’s say you bottle 10,000 bottles, which have a 3% TCA taint rate (300 btls) averaging 10ppt. Let’s also assume all the other bottles average an undetectable 1ppt baseline TCA rate. Now you have raised the average TCA from 1ppt to 1.27ppt (9,700 plus 3,000 / 10,000 btls). Now you recork, with an additional average of 1ppt from the new corks, and you have a detectable level of 2.27ppt in every bottle! Obviously, I’m making some assumptions, but you get my point.

Yeah, that’s interesting to consider.

The cellarmaster said “you just hope it’s diluted enough…”

Wow, that TCA risk would scare the heck out of me. I would think it’s almost certainly going to mute the aromas of the wine a bit, if not do a lot worse.