Buying vine cuttings

I’m looking to plant some grapes to eventually do some home winemaking…

Looking for cab franc and cab sauv, perhaps some others… is there anywhere online I can purchase from or would it be best to approach growers, etc.?

Google Sunridge Nursery. You might get killed on small orders.

Thanks Casey I will check them out!

I have had luck with both Vintage and NovaVine for small orders of 25 vines. For my last order (25 vines each of 4 varieties) three years ago, NovaVine was not as easy to work with as they had been in the past. I don’t recall now if it was price or selections. Regardless, I called Vintage again and they were as good as always and prices were what I had paid previously, not what was listed on their website as current prices.

Tablas Creek sells some varieties right at the door of the tasting room. (already rooted) They may have some Cabernet Sauvignon cuttings hanging around as well.

If I remember correctly these are what I would call tourist vines. Single vines, priced way high and sold to visitors to the tasting room. Nice for buying a plant to remember you vacation to Paso but way too costly for planting even a small vineyard. Tablas Creek did at one time have nursery sales but I believe that all the Tablas clones are now sold exclusively through NovaVine.

Yes, those are “tourist vines”. I think their grafting and nursery facilities are still active, but only for their own use. As you indicated, about 10 years ago they partnered with Novavine who now markets their budwood and grafted vines.

-Al

Exactly. Not much use to someone looking to plant enough vines to make their own wine. Getting vines from a nursery such as Novavine or Sunridge would be the way to go for that.

Thanks all for the comments. Looks like both Vintage and SunRidge are close enough I can likely pick up from them.